Halo 3 news: you want it, we got it at X360F | Add to My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines

Is EB/Gamestop hoarding the PS3-love?

I did my weekly "can Nick find a PS3 in Athens?" search yesterday. The result is the same as always: no. Not just no, but no employees/managers seem to know when the next shipment is coming in. Perhaps whilst in Atlanta next few weeks, we'll find me some sexy console to waste my time on. Anywho, with that recent failure in my mind, we've got a tipster who spotted some "familiar" boxes -- the 2-quantity, PS3-sized shipping boxes to be exact.

Assumption? Yeah. Angry? You bet, 'specially since the one in Athens "sold out this morning"... a common response mechanism this blogger used to use at his old job at OfficeMax. Especially if he didn't want to seek out a gigantic desk in the back... they're heavy! What were we saying? Oh. Boxes. So, this may mean nothing and the boxes may include nothing but two new robotic employee's per box, but it's worth giving your local store a call this weekend to see if another shipment popped in.

[tanx brunches, WheelSee!]

1. Well, we're not hording PS3s for the weekend, we sold our shipment this week, as soon as we got them in. We are, however, saving our Wiis and Pink DS Lites for tomorrow. So, anyone wanting those need to show up long before we open and get in line. My store has 12 Wii units but larger cities have more than 30 stocked up

Posted at 1:13PM on Dec 16th 2006 by Samurai P

2. Did he stop and think that maybe there's a chance that they're...just...boxes?

As in, they got them, they sold them, and they just haven't had the time to actually dispose of the cardboard boxes?

Posted at 1:17PM on Dec 16th 2006 by Strike Man

3. I Poked around the internet the other day and I noticed that on Wed of this past week it was acutally posiible to buy a PS3 at Costco.com. I put one in my cart, made it all the way to checkout but decided to not buy one just yet...

Michael

Posted at 2:06PM on Dec 16th 2006 by Michel

4. MICHAEL OMG, IF UR NOT GUNNA BUY IT.....GIVE IT TO ME!!!!!!! DONT JUST KEEP IT IN UR CART OR W/e

Posted at 5:39PM on Dec 16th 2006 by eljefe

5. I have walked into Gamestop twice now the first time I actually bought a PS3, the second time I walked in looked around the sales person asked if I was looking for a PS3, when I inquired if they actually had any he said yes there were three 60gigs in the back.

So I think they are becoming more and more prevelant.

If you are willing to pay an extra $75-$100 you can pick one up off EBay. I tried to sell mine twice but when I could only get $592 for a 20 gig I said screw it I will keep it.

Posted at 7:00PM on Dec 16th 2006 by Hired.Geek

6. From what i've seen, PS3 shipping boxes are brown rather than white.

Posted at 7:17PM on Dec 16th 2006 by Jaffer

7. >IF UR NOT GUNNA BUY IT.....GIVE IT TO ME
Heh - I thought of buying one just to sell it. But all the crazies already got thier PS3 for $2.5K on ebay the day after launch and markups have come down to more reasonable levels. So it's no longer worth the hassle. Actually, by the time I'd pay shipping and tax - the thing was close to $800 - bundled with a game I don't thinkg I'd care for... So I decided to pass and get it later on once they become easier to come by ;-)

Michael

Posted at 9:06PM on Dec 16th 2006 by Michael Chomiczewski

8. Well I have been through a lot to get my hands on a PS3. First I pre-ordered mine from FYE Games back in April except then I was told a week before launch that they were not going to get enough to fulfill their pre-order and that I would most likely be bumped into their 2nd shipment. I went to my local BestBuy at 5am the day of launch (since my local BB was not allowing people to camp out or show up before 5am) it was total madness, needless to say I couldn't get in. People got all crazy and the police got involved. Then I went to Circuit City and was 7th in line. Waited for two hours to only find out that they only had 6. Went to target they only had 11, I was 12th in line. Went to KB Toys, 3rd in line, they had none. Go to FYE the day of launch since it was in the same mall and the store manager offered me a 20GB but I really wanted a 60BG so I turned it down. Go to BestBuy on Black Friday. Total madhouse, didn't have any PS3's just a few Wii's and I was too far in line to get a Wii.

Now yesterday I get a call from my dad saying that his co-worker got one at a local EB games about 3 towns over. I was at work but had stepped out for lunch. I decided to call some GameStops and EB's in my town. They all had received some but were sold out. The Gamestop at the mall I worked at had one and wouldn't hold it for me. EB in the same mall was not answering their phone. I run into GameStop, 2nd in line and the guy in front of me asks for a PS3. I was so pissed. I figured I would wait to see if maybe he was paying with a credit/debit card and hoping it would get declined (hey it happens). Unfortunate he was paying with cash. I almost gave up adn admitted defeat. I decided to run over to EB games and take a chance. I had nothing to lose. After waiting in line for 5 minutes I finally ask this guy who is putting games on the shelf if they had any PS3. To my complete amazement I was shocked when he said "Yes we do." I almost couldn't speak. Then before I got too excited I asked if he 20 or 60 and he said he had both. So I asked him to get me a 60GB and an extra remote. Paid for it with my card and put it in my trunk. I was so excited. After being late from break I couldn't wait to get home. When I got off from work I stopped at FYE games and asked for my deposit money back and used it to buy two games (Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Resistance Fall of Man) both games are so sweet and RFOM is f*&^*& AWESOME!
Anyone want to play online my Playstation Network ID is FoneFreak

Posted at 10:20PM on Dec 16th 2006 by Kevin

9. Samurai P is correct. Although not all stores are holding DS lites, all stores should be holding their Wiis for tomorrow morning. We have about the same number we had for launch day.

Also, buy two get one free on used games tomorrow, as well if anyone's interested.

*digs for money in the couch*

What? My discount's not THAT big... -_-

Posted at 12:38AM on Dec 17th 2006 by CubeGuy

10. I know it was so surreal when the guy at Gamestop said “Yes we have one.”, I did not know what to say right away.

Hey my Network ID is:HiredGeek

Posted at 3:12PM on Dec 17th 2006 by Hired.Geek

11. Don't Go to EB/Gamestop.
I already got my PS3 60 Gig. (Bestbuy)
I just returned my PS3 20 Gig (FYE).
Yes, I had 2 in my possession.

EB & Gamestop seem to have a stick up their butt about something. I usually buy every console and handheld that comes out. I also buy a lot of games. I used to buy them from the EB Games in my Mall. The EB/Gamestop decided after their 360 PreOrder fiasco that they would not take preorders. This left me out in the Cold unless I wanted to camp somewhere (out in the cold).

So I was shopping myself around for a New Game store to Dedicate myself to. After Stopping at 6 different EBs and Gamestops around me I noticed that their employees and managers are one of two things. They are either Idiots, or there has been a company policy put in place to lie to customers.
Here are some of the Nice Stories I heard at random EB/Gamestops;
1) The $499 PS3 will not have HDMI and you cannot play the Bluray Movies.
2) The Playstation Network will not be Free.
3) Your TV has to have Bluetooth in order for it to work with your PS3.
4) The PS3 is not Backwards compatible (uhh, that would be the 360 that is no Backwards compatible)

I can't remember the rest but there were more.
What is up with the New "Lye to the Customer" Policy.
So now I have been shopping at Target & Bestbuy.
I figured if I was a loyal EB customer that they would show some customer appreciation and help a guy out getting a hold of a PS3 Preorder, but no... no such luck.
Goodbye EB... Goodbye Gamestop...
Me and my over $1000 a year gaming habit will be shopping elsewhere.

Posted at 7:59PM on Dec 17th 2006 by Scott Krueger

12. I had the same trouble with EB and I know that it is totally BS! There was only one employee that was able to give me some helpful advice. He was even kind enough to tell me what the trend was in the shipments of Playstation 3 (every other week and 1/2 to two weeks or so) and Wii (every other week). He also told me to check back in early week Monday to Wednesday. On top of that he also said to keep an eye on Costco, Target, and Toys R Us (where I found my PS3 two days later).

I am absolutely tired of EB games employees that think I am an idiot, do you honestly expect me to believe that people are waiting in line everyday to get a PS3 or Wii? No, someone knows the shipments are coming in. One even told me that they "Don't have them and you shouldn't buy one becase they are buggy." I said, "Every system has faults and it won't stop me from buying a Playstation 3." I guess there was my two cents. You just have to literally "look around."

Posted at 9:14PM on Dec 17th 2006 by James