Here comes the blog ... here comes the blog ... the Aisledash wedding blog! | Add to My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines

Devil May Cry 4 -- an inclusive hands-on preview

Well, we feel included by hearing about an exclusive hands-on of Devil May Cry 4. After the week long stint of DMC4 news, what else could be discussed other than some hands-on impressions? Well, they've got a lot to say, but we'll keep it as short as possible just because we know you've got a lot to do on a Sunday.

• The gameplay has gotten so finely tuned and sharp that it was instantly gripping while remaining challenging.
  • Some things don't feel next-gen about the game (at least, this early demo): the whole "kill all the enemies in the room to magically unlock the seal on the door" is a little worn-out.
  • The most important aspect of the game, at least with Nero, is the Devil Bringer. It completely changes the shoot/slice formula... being extremely responsive and refined doesn't hurt. And charging up your sword by throttling it like a motorcycle is neat, too.
  • The artificial intelligence is supposed to be top-notch, but not in the demo they played, apparently. Although it was more of a tutorial level, making the enemies dumb, they didn't exhibit much advanced AI.
  • Boss battles? Still intense and difficult. Failing only makes you want to defeat the monster more!
  • Crossing levels swiftly via the Hell Bound teleport move may portend a more engrossing exploration element in the final build.
  • Dante is ready to fight -- he's got his skills from Devil May Cry 3 as well as instant weapon-swapping. But only the developers got to show him off.
  • But what makes the game fresh? "This is a game made by a man who cut his teeth on fighting games, and combat is the number one priority here. Throwing an enemy up into the air, slashing it with a sword, following that with a few quick shots and yanking and slamming it back into the ground is extremely addictive. The Devil Bringer is fully integrated - essential - to the combat, and is the key to what makes DMC4 feel fresh. The graphics, of course, are packed with detail and flash"

That's it for the week of Devil May Cry 4. We stretched it out a little longer, but whatever. Now, we'd love to hear about the trophies they have planned for Home. Who wouldn't want a life-sized statue of Dante for beating the game with all S-ranks? I'd take that over some worthless line of text telling me I "achieved" something anyday.

1. cool graphics

Posted at 5:18PM on Apr 29th 2007 by thatpspkid

2. Capcom, do NOT make the game too easy. I swear to god, if that's the case, it'd be just like DMC2.

and I really don't care about door unlocking thing. or else it'd be like you running around avoiding fighting... just like DMC2. ;)

and again, when is it out?? Geez.

Posted at 5:43PM on Apr 29th 2007 by kingofwale

3. hope this turns out good

Posted at 6:12PM on Apr 29th 2007 by Kratos

4. Wait wait wait.... "instant weapon switching"? Explain again why we were making fun of Genji for this feature? Why aren't we making fun of "slam dunk!" either?

Speaking of cheese, I believe it's nacho time...

Posted at 6:30PM on Apr 29th 2007 by OrganicShadow

5. "Who wouldn't want a life-sized statue of Dante for beating the game with all S-ranks? I'd take that over some worthless line of text telling me I "achieved" something anyday."

360 envy much?

Seriously, I see more attacks on other systems here than anyother joystiq blog, why couldn't you have just said, "Who wouldn't want a life-sized statue of Dante for beating the game with all S-ranks?"

Either way, i'm still excited for this game, seeing as how i've never played one(DMC#) before, with my luck it'll suck...

Posted at 6:46PM on Apr 29th 2007 by Kamizar

6. I hope it doesn't suck... I have pretty high expectations after beating the third game.

kingofwale, most sources are saying that the game is supposed to be out around October, but who knows. Capcom isn't saying much.

Posted at 6:52PM on Apr 29th 2007 by Cagalli

7. >360 envy much?

do PS3 fans want to brag? Sure. do we want to pay to play a game online? No

I mean, why do you have to pay to show off your mastery gaming skills?

Posted at 7:12PM on Apr 29th 2007 by kingofwale

8. What a pathetic retort kingofwale.

Ok my turn!

Do 360 have lots of games to play? Yes. does the other system have many games? No.

Posted at 9:40PM on Apr 29th 2007 by scott

9. Ok my turn again!

Do the 360 users have to pay for their online? Yes. Do ps3 users wish they had something even 1/100 of what LIVE is? Yes.

Posted at 9:41PM on Apr 29th 2007 by scott

10. I'll go again!

Can I download hundreds of demos, movies, trailers, pictures, themes? Yes. Can ps3 users? No.

Posted at 9:42PM on Apr 29th 2007 by scott

11. Wow I'm up again?

Is the 360 outselling the ps3, even though it's been out a year longer? Yes. Are the ps3's sales abysmal? Yes.

Posted at 9:45PM on Apr 29th 2007 by scott

12. scott, please stop trolling.

Posted at 9:51PM on Apr 29th 2007 by Cagalli

13. Hardly call it trolling, Cagalli. I'm just imitating one of your fanboys' response.

And to respond to you original question, Kingofwhale:

"I mean, why do you have to pay to show off your mastery gaming skills?"

You don't! Silver membership is free, and lets you be online! And people can see your gamer score! Fascinating, isn't it?

Posted at 10:00PM on Apr 29th 2007 by scott

14. I was thinking of getting da PS3 at one point, but i jus find the console kinda pointless with all these top notch 360 games coming. This is in no way a troll - on a purely gaming aspect, the ps3 is struggling right now. Ppl jus have to admit that, at the moment, a PS3 is not worth it. Throw in an fully exclusive game or 2 and maybe in the future it'll be valuable. Wutever jus adding to this little "debate".

BTW - The Wii is the, by far, the biggest waste of money I have ever spent on gaming. The graphics are abismal and the system is complete trash. I own the damn console and I cannot believe ppl have been responding so positively towards it. And Zelda is a crap Wii game. An extraordinary Gamecube game, but an attrocious next-gen game. I really would like to see more hatred for this console simply because it blows so hard. Srry for the troll guys, but i just had to get a lil off my chest.

Posted at 10:48PM on Apr 29th 2007 by CalabreZ

15. It is trolling... you're demonstrating typical Xbot fanboyism on a PLAYSTATION THEMED WEBSITE. Now if you were actually not being an idiot and staying on topic without spouting off negative comments, then THAT would not be trolling.

Posted at 10:48PM on Apr 29th 2007 by Cagalli

16. CalabreZ, top notch PS3 games are coming too... this fall you'll see a lot of excellent titles hit for the system and hopefully a price drop as well. Remember that all consoles start out with weak titles post-launch... the same was for the Xbox 360 and is now the same for the PS3 and Wii. Give it time before writing it off. :)

Posted at 10:51PM on Apr 29th 2007 by Cagalli

17. I think the PS3 is a good console, just at the moment it doesn't seem like a justifiable purchase. And yes I realize it's a PS3 site but there is no need to get offended by an opinion.

And my Wii comments is my opinion as an owner. I'm not trying to start a flame war, I was one of those guys who stayed overnight at Best Buy to get it :P.

Posted at 11:03PM on Apr 29th 2007 by CalabreZ

18. Tell that to the tool who wrote the article, cagalli.

That's a 360 bash in a PLAYSTATION THEMED WEBSITE.

Posted at 11:07PM on Apr 29th 2007 by scott

19. scott, get over it. That's just Nick's style. If you honestly care about him saying that then you seriously need to get a life.

Posted at 11:11PM on Apr 29th 2007 by Cagalli

20. @18 Yee he's obviously an extreme fanboy but wutever, it is a fanboy site.

As weird as it seems, achievements are pretty addictive. There are plenty of 360 owners who can attest to this.

Posted at 11:12PM on Apr 29th 2007 by CalabreZ