Alabama Wal-Mart breaks 40GB street date
We're sure we'll hear more stories of retailers jumping the gun in the next few days, and while we're sure it doesn't make Sony a happy camper, it's definitely a win for us.
[Thanks for the tip, H. Phillips!]
Reader Comments(Page 1)
2. I found them on the shelves this past Saturday at a walmart in Texas. I tried to buy one, but the register would not allow a purchase. It displayed "Cannot sell" or something like that on the display.
Posted at 10:14AM on Oct 30th 2007 by Steve
3. well, at least they didn't also break Spiderman 3's launch date, *shrugs*
considering most of people here (other than certain other console's fanboys) already own a PS3, it really doesn't affect us. but for people who want to get it as a Media device with some gameplaying ability, this is the console for you.. or else, please just go buy the 80GB one.
Posted at 10:51AM on Oct 30th 2007 by kingofwale
4. Why wouldn't Sony like this? I know they have specific dates for a reason, but what IS the reason?
Can't this only benefit them?
Posted at 10:52AM on Oct 30th 2007 by Justin
I think part of the reason the dates are there is that most stores wont have been able to have gotten the 40gb ps3 yet and so its a bit unfair to those stores that the ones that got it before them get to sell it before....I could be wrong mind you.
Posted at 11:08AM on Oct 30th 2007 by Neil
6. the 40 gig has been on sale here in aus for a while, its the only bloody ps3 over here, GIVE US THE 80 GIGS!!!!
Posted at 11:09AM on Oct 30th 2007 by AK
7. Too bad there isn't a Wal-Mart in Birmingham, AL...only the surrounding cities. Oh well, I guess they generalized the location for recognition.
Posted at 11:17AM on Oct 30th 2007 by DBVII
8. @justin and neil
I think another reason is because they want to get rid of all the old 60 gig versions first. other wise no one will probably buy them.
Posted at 11:25AM on Oct 30th 2007 by steve
9. both make sense. thanks guys.
Posted at 11:53AM on Oct 30th 2007 by Justin
10. they should drop the damn price though...thats how you clear out stock.
Posted at 11:53AM on Oct 30th 2007 by Justin
11. I tried doing this at my local Target here in L.A. on Sunday. (28th). I asked the employee if they were sitting in the back and he said "Yea but I can't sell you one until November 2nd"
Posted at 11:59AM on Oct 30th 2007 by Mr. Volcom
I don't think it is in time to sell out the 60 gb systems, here in Canada. They are selling for $449 which if you don't want the game motorstorm is a decent deal. Plus only 2 days after the announced the sale for the 60 gb version here, it was sold out no matter where I checked or tried to order online.
Posted at 1:33PM on Oct 30th 2007 by James
13. I work in electronics at my local wal-mart and have four new PS3s sitting in the back for about a week or so waiting for nov 2nd to show up.
We also got the 360 Arcade in and my manager put it out early, but the wal-mart super computer wouldn't let us sell it.
Posted at 2:57PM on Oct 30th 2007 by motorer
14. @AK: I doubt you're right about the 40GB already on sale in Oz. It couldn't be the one with zero backwards compatibility and only 2 USB ports.
Posted at 3:04PM on Oct 30th 2007 by Popfrogs
15. Im curious if the box has any extra wording on it regarding BC. Definatly a good system for people wanting Blu-Ray but I can see some folks being suprised by no BC if its not clearly stated on the box(and some even if it is).
Posted at 3:26PM on Oct 30th 2007 by Konchu
16. @Popfrogs: No AK is right we've had it in NZ for a while now. 12th of october to be exact. Good price drop to, went from $1200NZD to $800NZD, still expensive but a huge drop none the less.
Posted at 3:29PM on Oct 30th 2007 by FrodoT-Baggins
17. There actually is a Wal-Mart in Birmingham now DBVII, over on the city's east side (former Eastwood Mall site).
It's a shame that some folks don't pay attention to the grand openings of new businesses here in town...
Posted at 5:06PM on Oct 30th 2007 by bhamterminal
18. At the best buy where i work we were all told to be sure not to sell the system or there would be serious penalties not only for the employee but the store itself. I know some companies with hold future shipments because of stuff like this.
Posted at 6:56PM on Oct 30th 2007 by Cory
Add your comments
Please keep your comments relevant to this blog entry. Email addresses are never displayed, but they are required to confirm your comments.
When you enter your name and email address, you'll be sent a link to confirm your comment, and a password. To leave another comment, just use that password.
To create a live link, simply type the URL (including http://) or email address and we will make it a live link for you. You can put up to 3 URLs in your comments. Line breaks and paragraphs are automatically converted — no need to use
1. LoL That's funny!! Someone's gonna get fired! LMAO
Posted at 9:50AM on Oct 30th 2007 by Byron517