Live and let dry: Hang your dirty laundry at GreenDaily.com

Debate! Uncharted: lost in a wave, or system mover?

There's an interesting little quibble over at Ars Technica about the relevance of Uncharted to the holiday performance of the PS3. There are two sides: Frank and Ben. Frank thinks the game will be a surprise hit in November, worthy of praise and front-page reviews, etc. Ben thinks it'll get lost in the tidal wave of excellent games due out in November. Did somebody say sitcom?

Seeing as how most of the other games due out are multiplatform titles, it would be foolish to think Uncharted isn't on most PS3 owner's radars. Naughty Dog is a huge Sony-supportive company and the game itself, well, built from the ground up on PS3, it looks damn nice. So is a high volume of titles (a lot of shooters, it seems) really all it takes to bury this hyped up game? Ben thinks so. Frank, however, is smart. We kid, we kid. Both make valid arguments. How do you guys feel about Uncharted? Is it going to make a splash on the PS3, or bellyflop into oblivion in the wake of stuff like Haze, Call of Duty 4, and Unreal Tournament 3 (despite the delay)?

21. I don't think it'll entice anyone to buy a PS3, but I think those that have a PS3 will definitely be picking this up.

Posted at 8:16PM on Oct 23rd 2007 by Random1448

22. Uncharted won't get lost in the shuffle, but it's not a system mover either. The first real system seller for PS3 will be Metal Gear (Warhawk and Heavenly Sword helped sell a few systems but nowhere to the extent that Metal Gear and FFXIII will).

I have a PS3 and I'm not sure if I'm going to buy Uncharted since I plan on spending money on R&C, Rock Band, UT3, and Army of 2.

Posted at 8:32PM on Oct 23rd 2007 by BK

23. It will make a splash IF there is a demo of it playing on Kiosks, otherwise only fanboys will know or care. Could be interesting, having it go up against Ratchet and Clank. But for those who have trusted Insomniac and Naughty Dog in the past, they will be less likely to need to see a demo. The demo would catch the eye of passersby, and the fluid human animation won't be lost on those who are used to seeing kiosks with car games, fps, and anime sports.

Posted at 8:33PM on Oct 23rd 2007 by John

24. GT5. Killer Application. System Mover. Real.

Posted at 8:36PM on Oct 23rd 2007 by Andy

25. I do not yet own a PS3, but when this game comes out I will be purchasing one. I don't know that it has a lot to do with Uncharted by itself, it just seems that now all is finally aligned to justify a PS3. What with the price drop, the impending rumble, finally a decent list of solid titles (one game will easily last me a month to six weeks... alas, where is my free time?).

To me, Uncharted seems like a tipping point more than anything else. So I guess you can say it is a quasi-system mover.

Posted at 8:37PM on Oct 23rd 2007 by doc j

26. no doubt im getting this game but i have to get COD4 first.. then the PSeye...then this game...then haze...then UT3...then..im in debt..=/

Posted at 8:56PM on Oct 23rd 2007 by qwerter

27. I'm hoping this is a great game and sales. I like what I see so far and I'm going to get when its released.

Posted at 9:02PM on Oct 23rd 2007 by drdre74

28. Alan Wake? >;> I kid. Back on topic...I think it will be a great game (I'm not really into these type of games) but I doubt it will be a giant system mover. (you never know though) It will move consoles as much as any other game that comes out that several people only want that game purchases.

Posted at 9:05PM on Oct 23rd 2007 by Killer

29. I plan on buying Uncharted but I don't think it'll be a system seller. It'll likely be viewed and reviewed as a Tomb Raider clone.

My must buys games between now and end of year:

Uncharted (PS3)
Orange Box (PS3)
COD4 (PS3)
Mass Effect (XB360)
Blacksite (XB360)

Orange Box and COD4 will depend on whether or not the multi-player feature is the same as on the XB360.

Posted at 9:07PM on Oct 23rd 2007 by Spoon!!

30. All they have to do is advertise it. Once the oublic sees that the same people who made JAk and Daxter are behind this, than those casual gamers will creep up the sony just a little bit further.

Posted at 9:56PM on Oct 23rd 2007 by Valin

31. between this game and the price drop i will be buying a ps3 finally. so it sold the system to me(system seller). also gt5 (favorite game series)and haze coming out soon dont hurt either. also final fantasy eventually coming onto the ps3 is another reason. i've been torn between 360 and ps3 since ps3 came out, almost got 360 after playing halo 3 at a friends
but now with the games coming out on ps3 i know who i'm choosing now. great value and besides that pretty much any game you play on a 360 you can play on pc.

all that said i guess a lot of different things coming together has made me get a ps3, but i have been watching this game for a long time and it looks amazing, i didnt think lair looked that great, heavenly sword looked pretty good but i could tell it would get kinda lame, basicaly a button masher. but this game to me looks like it's gonna be a great game.

Posted at 10:27PM on Oct 23rd 2007 by mater

32. why aren the guys at sony advertising this game much? or really much of any game? for the most part only watch fox, abc, nbc, cbs which i think get the most viewers on average and i have never seen this game advertised on tv. i havent seen much for any other games either. i just see the games talked about on here and joystiq.

Posted at 10:32PM on Oct 23rd 2007 by mater

33. When I bought the system after the original price drop, this game was one of the justifications for it. I grew up worshiping Indiana Jones, and I'll play anything that shares the same sense of adventure.

In all honesty, though, I don't think it's going to move systems. As others have said, GT5, MGS4 and FFXIII will for sure, but this will just get lost in the holiday shuffle. Plus, the PS3 still has too much of a stigma surrounding it for a new IP to move systems..

Posted at 10:32PM on Oct 23rd 2007 by Ithilis

34. I love Naughty Dog....I remember 94' or 95' ish when I first got a PS1 and I popped in Crash Bandicoot...good times...

I will get this game when the price drops, good or bad reviews, they pioneered for the PS brand, and I'll support them with the utmost dedication...

From a logical and non fanboyish standpoint...this game will be amazing, and when the price drops I'll play, to many games on my radar right now, and so little money, to shell out $60.00 for a game with no replay value, this game would be perfect for online, co-op or versus even, rolling across cover and such, it could seriously work, and i hope anyone working for Naughty Dog sees this, and hears this... :Co-Op or Versus would really add allot of life to this game, make a patch update....Tekken did it...

Posted at 10:50PM on Oct 23rd 2007 by Muzzle Flash

35. I definatly feel this is a system mover. I have had my eye on this game since it was just "untitles naughty dog game" back a few years at E3, haha. I think it will shine in the end.

Posted at 10:57PM on Oct 23rd 2007 by DOmeN

36. I don't see how this can be a system mover. It's not a big name franchise and it's not really anything new and exciting. It's a next-gen Tomb Raider, and that's fine, but it's not going to make anyone so impressed they'll drop $400 on a console. Then again, I'd say the same thing about Halo 3, so what do I know? At least that's a big-name franchise.

Plus, there's not nearly enough of a marketing push behind this... hell, I heard 10 times as much about Heavenly Sword as I've heard about this. I hear lots of talk about the buzz, but I don't hear the buzz, and I follow PS3 info pretty closely.

So... I don't think it'll be a mover at all. I think it looks like a good game, but everyone I know is waiting for FFXII before they make the jump. Wake me up when something earth shaking comes out.

Posted at 12:21AM on Oct 24th 2007 by Nate

37. I really thought this game showed promise at the start.

I just watched a jet ski video on Game Trailers. I sometimes get the feeling Naughty Dog has not really learnt much about game design... To begin with it looked railed, but to contradict that it was actually stop and start gameplay. rather than a free for all race for ones life, you seemed to spend time shooting explosive barrels in the water (which would have blown up your vehicle no doubt)...before stopping to individually shoot each bad guy...drive a very tiny but further...surely this defeats the point of the jet ski's inclusion in the first place.

Really I hope they get it right but....anyway just look at what I mean in case you think I am bias in some way?

There is a high def version too.

Posted at 1:10AM on Oct 24th 2007 by Sammy

38. unreal is out this year for PS3 and PC. 360 next year.

this seems like Beyond Good and Evil type of game. Really good but who will ever know?

i've never seen a marketing campaign quite like Halo 3.
i've not seen anything for Uncharted yet.

PS3 owners will dig it. but the rest of the world won't even know it existed. plus multiplayer games like Halo 3 and SSBB also RPGS have more appeal than single player adventures like these. people just want more bang for their buck now.

so....hardly a system mover.

Posted at 1:49AM on Oct 24th 2007 by ryano

39. definetly...ppl have ben waiting for this game since those early image leaks...

Posted at 11:20AM on Oct 24th 2007 by Haiddasalami

40. I don't think it is a system mover in the sense that non-ps3 owners already know they will be buying a ps3 for it. But I do think it will be a huge sleeper hit. If it is as great as I anticipate, once people play it, word of mouth may turn it into a system seller.

It is funny, as I orginally wrote this game off, as Tomb Raider with a dick. But in the last month it has become my most anticipated title. It is also going into a genre which is much less saturated than the FPS genre COD4 will fall under.

~S