Your planet is calling! Answer it at GreenDaily

Sony's public Home beta is actually quite private

We knew there was supposed to be a public beta in addition to Sony's invite-only private beta for Home, but we thought it was going to be similar to an open beta, where most anyone could join in and report bugs. Not so. Sony's own Jamie MacDonald described the scenario as this: "At the moment the closed beta is employees, trusted third-parties and people like that. An open beta will be a wider audience but it won't be open to everybody ... We haven't worked out the exact way of doing it but it will be invites to people to ask if they want to be part of it, and then depending on what the response is, we'll have to have some way of deciding who can and who can't take part."

So the next stage of Home will still be invite-only, but it'll reach a wider audience. After that beta concludes, the program will simply pop up on our XMB's after what we assume will be a low-key firmware update. MacDonald implies this by saying Home isn't the typical game, so it won't get a typical launch. "There isn't going to be this 'big bang' launch. That's how you do it in the web 2.0 world, if you're familiar with the launch of Gmail or something like that." Initially scheduled for an October release, with a public beta not yet out, we're estimating that Home will get pushed back to November. We could be wrong, though.

1. Why do I have a feeling there's more to it then just keep'n it private... Sony has something up their sleeve!

Posted at 10:11AM on Sep 13th 2007 by Byron517

2. Amazing, a Sony product with a delay......boring

Posted at 10:14AM on Sep 13th 2007 by kATANA

3. f u c k sony the time the first beta com out sony say treder wiil be a open beta for all

an now only privat beta f u c k you sony an give os all a open beta an some more games demo a more

Posted at 10:22AM on Sep 13th 2007 by final

4. my brain is bleeding after reading (trying to read) that last post(#3).

TheSh0wstopper

Posted at 10:28AM on Sep 13th 2007 by TheSh0wstopper

5. #3. I think you wrote something there but my universal translator is broken.

Come on Sony, you said there'd be a Home beta, where is it after all this time? Is Home *that* unfinished? Our buddy Phil said it had been in the planning stages for over 3 years. I guess it's only been in the programming stages for 3 months.

Posted at 10:30AM on Sep 13th 2007 by Popfrogs

6. Seriously. WTF was #3 trying to say?

Anyway, it does seem a little lonely at Home right now. So I guess I'm a trusted 3rd party? It can't hurt that I'm a registered owner of every Sony console they have released.

Posted at 10:31AM on Sep 13th 2007 by gullum

7. For those that are in the HOME beta it has just been updated and the new update is massive, a complete revamp of home.

Posted at 10:39AM on Sep 13th 2007 by Phoenix

8. LMAO stopper your a fool dude LoL

But seriously I have a theory... Either Sony has something really special up their sleeve and they're keeping it SOOOOO under wraps that would rival AREA 51's secrecy or they need more time... One or the other but time will only tell... However... SONY YOU NEED TO GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER!!! Ok I'm done...

Posted at 10:42AM on Sep 13th 2007 by Byron517

9. Good find, Phoenix. Looking better than ever. DivX eh?

Posted at 10:48AM on Sep 13th 2007 by upz

10. It's kinda ironic when a person calls someone a fool whilst typing "LMAO", "LoL" and "your" in place of "you're". :P All in one sentence.

I'm not really disappointed by this news. I don't normally take part in beta tests anyway.

Posted at 11:09AM on Sep 13th 2007 by Ste

11. october release not looking too good..

i'm getting pretty tired of sony underdelivering on every promise they've made with the ps3 so far.. i've owned mine for 4 months and i still haven't found a game worth purchasing.. :T

seriously, sony.. get your act together! this is embarassing!

Posted at 11:09AM on Sep 13th 2007 by wei

12. What the hell are you whining about wei. You will get this for free and it takes time to perfect a comprehensive online worls like this. How old are you, 12?

Posted at 11:11AM on Sep 13th 2007 by Egster

13. Because complaining about a 600 dollar purchase is something only 12 years old do...

Posted at 11:15AM on Sep 13th 2007 by Frank

14. Thank you Egster.

Rome wasn't built in a day people.

Posted at 11:20AM on Sep 13th 2007 by HAAS599

15. Looks pretty neat. I had never heard of Home before I started reading this blog regularly about a month ago. It looks like it will be trying to combine Yahoo! Games, Invites to PS3 games, The Sims, and maybe YouTube all in one. Will we be able to show our personal videos in the theatre?

Thanks so much for the link Phoenix. A couple pictures is worth a 1,000 words in this case, because I couldn't really understand what Sony was trying to acheive with Home until I checked out those screen snags from the updated Beta. Can't wait!

Posted at 11:25AM on Sep 13th 2007 by Elliott

16. No place like HOME...

Posted at 11:42AM on Sep 13th 2007 by Young Capwn

17. Yes, I am clearly 12 years old. Because I am frustrated that after saving up a dollar a week for my entire life, I was finally able to afford that PS3 I had my eyes on.

I'm not complaining about Home. I'm just frustrated with Sony's inability to deliver on anything they've promised for this platform. It amazes me how defensive people get about the PS3. We're closing in on a year after a release and the PS3 is nowhere near where the *other* platforms were/are at that point. Home is just another one of those things that everybody waited patiently for.. and it doesn't look like it's anywhere near release yet.

C'mon, don't tell me you think it's excusable that virtually everything that's has been or is going to be released on the PS3 has seen some kind of unexplained delay. It's just damned frustrating, as a consumer. Even as a 12 year old. Well played and classy, Egster.

Posted at 11:42AM on Sep 13th 2007 by wei

18. sorry if this is double posted

Posted at 11:46AM on Sep 13th 2007 by wei

19. #15: Yeah, supposedly you can invite people into your Home apartment and watch movies and listen to music with them.

That DivX logo doesn't surprise me. I can't imagine that mpg2/mpg4 video in the Playstation's native format is going to stream well enough for people to share their PS3 video content. It's just too big for people with some wimpy 40KB/sec upstream on their dsl or cable modem.

It'll be interesting to see how Sony manages video sharing. Ideally it'd be just like the PS3 to PSP location free sharing...you have a VNC-type window into your content being broadcast over the PSN to your Home friends.

Posted at 11:46AM on Sep 13th 2007 by Popfrogs

20. So like gmail it will never leave beta.

Posted at 11:54AM on Sep 13th 2007 by gumby