Gather 'round, children, Mother Earth has a story for you at GreenDaily.com

Sony is glad Nintendo broadened the gaming market

David Reeves is up in arms over at Leipzig, issuing statement after statement. This time, Reeves tipped his hat at Nintendo, saying "...We're very happy Nintendo broadened the market to where we have never gone. But Sony is going places where EA and Microsoft have never been. We're very happy about [market expansion]. It keeps growth of the industry going up and up and up instead of just recycling gamers." Reeves also gave an innovative nod at Sony's own EyeToy, SingStar, and Buzz! from the past on the PS2 that actually first broadened the market, but digresses.

With Sony's PlayStation Eye coming out and set to innovate the gaming world and broaden the market even further, it's nice to know Reeves can display at least some semblance of humility. Even so, he goes on about price cuts and bundle packs, which we've already learned his position on. Bundles will continue in Europe for a while, but if the US demands another price cut, they'll probably get one in the future. Do you think the PS Eye will draw in some more casual gamers for the PS3? Or is that initial investment too much of a hurdle for the casual crowd?

1. Ok heres the sitch.

I am looking for a HDTV now that I got my Playstation 3. I have a relitivly low budget so I can't go over $1500 Canadian.

What do you folks think of the 2 tv's I have listed below?

The PS2 is very popular with the casual market so Sony has no reason to be angry with Nintendo.

Posted at 2:35PM on Aug 24th 2007 by Andy

2. @ Andy Sharp make some pretty good Tv's (second link doesn't show the product you are referring 2 btw) - But I would look around at other places then Best Buy they really do over charge on their products

Posted at 2:47PM on Aug 24th 2007 by Oz

3. I own a Sharp Aquos and have ZERO complaints. I would buy another one if I needed a second HDTV.

I assume you've read a little about HDTVs and are ready for standard definition programs to look kinda sucky with pillar boxes. That's usually the biggest shock to people who buy HDTVs I think.

The HD shows and Blu-Ray look amazing.

Posted at 2:48PM on Aug 24th 2007 by Elliott

4. @ Andy -- best buy is overpriced HOWEVER (forgive the caps) they do price match. So if you find a good price on a TV that's a little far away, print out some proof and they should match it. It's how I saved $400 on mine =)

Posted at 2:48PM on Aug 24th 2007 by ndoerr

5. @Andy. I have a Samsung 1080p DLP. You should be able to get one at a bigger size for about the same amount of money that you spend on the Sharp panel. DLP's handle movement better than LCD panels do, you just cant mount it on the wall. I think the 1080p models start at 50 inches and you should be able to get one on ebay for relatively cheap. Just my opinion.

Posted at 2:53PM on Aug 24th 2007 by JL

6. I think, over time, the PSEYE will make a huge difference in gaming. We may see very interactive games like being in the movie "Who framed Roger Rabbit" type stuff. Gesture recognition where the whole body is mapped could make the wiimote look silly. The interactions I saw in the Eye of Judgment tech demos were really just the tip of the iceberg.

Posted at 3:02PM on Aug 24th 2007 by Matt B

7. I for one think it would be the best move for Sony to bundle the Eye Toy with the PS3. Just like the Wii comes with the Wiimote if the same thing happened with the Eye Toy on the PS3.

I could see many developers make games just for that. I for one think that if Sony was to do this the Eye Toy could do what the Wiimote did to the Wii. That being that bringing in lots of casual gamers plus bring out some really nice games too.

The only bad part is though the PS3 would still cost an arm and a leg still. But would be a good step in the right direction.

So this way there would be many more games come out for the casual gamers plus at the same time there would be just as many games for the hardcore gamers.

Plus I for one think the Eye Toy could be just as fun as the Wii if not more. So I hope that Sony will do some thing like this.

Posted at 3:03PM on Aug 24th 2007 by Joe

8. Wow, that's so far off topic, I'll answer you.

Without even looking at the links, buy a Sharp LCD. Cheap enough, reliable, very high quality. However, 1080p at 32" is pretty dumb. You'll never see the detail at that size. Save your money and get a 32" 720p native Sharp OR a larger 1080p model.

Posted at 3:04PM on Aug 24th 2007 by Popfrogs

9. I don't think the broadened market will buy into PS3 yet. It's too expensive for them to just play SingStar or the PlayStation Eye on it. Perhaps if they want all the multi-media features they will, otherwise, they'll wait until it hit's about 200 USD.

@Andy - Ask the good people over at the Audio/Video Science Forum. They can give you a good answer (not that I'm undermining anyone's opinion here). http://www.avsforum.com/

Posted at 4:01PM on Aug 24th 2007 by Gunegune

10. There is no way that best buy would price match with ebay. I suggest looking heavily online or your area (i was ready to post several places for u too look at but noticed you are in Canada). I personally went with a Sony 46xbr2.

Posted at 4:01PM on Aug 24th 2007 by Oz

11. "Do you think the PS Eye will draw in some more casual gamers for the PS3?"

No, I don't.

"Or is that initial investment too much of a hurdle for the casual crowd?"

Yes, it is.

Posted at 5:00PM on Aug 24th 2007 by Hirsbrunner

12. Why are casual gamers all the buzz right now?

"Do you think the PS Eye will draw in some more casual gamers for the PS3? Or is that initial investment too much of a hurdle for the casual crowd?"

Who cares? clearly there are enough average to hardcore gamers around who will enjoy the PS Eye.

And @Hirsbrunner, 400 bucks isn't that much. I know several people who have bought a PS3 just for the Blu-Ray player or to use as a cheap-yet-powerful computer. It's like paying one car payment, or if you have a cheap car maybe two. That ain't bad.

Plus you have to drop $50 x 3 on controllers for Wii since it's clearly a party console for casual gaming. So let's see... $250 for the console + 3 x $50 = $400. Hey, wait a minute! Isn't that the price of the "overly expensive PS3"?

Posted at 6:28PM on Aug 24th 2007 by Larz

13. It's worth it to save your money and get the best tv possible. Wait another year if you have to. Mainly, what's most important is the color accuracy, since most televisions tend to be tweaked inaccurately for marketing purposes. In terms of LCD's, Samsung has a 46" that's pretty spot on. Pioneer Elite Plasmas are higher priced but are generally known to be color accurate (I have one). www.CNET.COM will tell you straight up what's good and bad.

Now that the PS3 can do [email protected], it's important that you try to get a television that can do 1080p with refresh rates of 72hz (pioneer plasma elite), or 120hz, or any multiple of 24. This will allow you to see three frames of a movie every second or 5 frames every second. Which is more fluid than 3 and then 2 and then 3 and then 2 or whatever it is that we're doign now.

For me, I know the SED and Sony's own OLED might be coming out soon. So i'm going to wait for those before I buy my next television. They're supposedly going to be the top of thte line Televisons, the best ever. Nothing to fix. They're perfect in every way.

But again, priority should be the color accuracy. Then look to see if it can do 1080p or 720p excatly rather than XGA and so on with 1366x766 or whatever (whatever)(you should do the research for me because I know these numbers and terms are probabaly wrong)because anything out of the HD specs is going to require scaling, and you don't want scaling really. Finally, check the black level. Though that's not an issue anymnore too much.

I cannot stress this enough. Color fidelity is most important. If it's not accurate out of the box, make sure that it has enough tweaks so that you can fix it later. Most TV's won't allow that.

Posted at 7:18PM on Aug 24th 2007 by secret

14. For LCD's, look into the expensive Samsung monitors. And Sony XBR's.

For Plasmas, look into Pioneer or Panasonic. Panasonic has an industrial version that's good in black levels and color accuracy, and it's very (very) inexpensive relative to Pioneer. But it's very plain. No TV tuners or anything. YOu have to put it together piece by piece like a DELL computer. But it's my recommendation, although I'm not sure about burn-in for that Plasma. But check out CNET.com and check out the "INDUSTRIAL PLASMA" by "PANASONIC." It's the black colored one. TH-PH something. It has a top rated picture and it's cheap because you can choose not to buy a bunch of needless stuff with it, like a DELL.

Go to CNET.COM and it should be somewhere under "EDITOR'S CHOICE FOR TV'S"

That's the TV I'd recommend it you want the best picture possible at the lowest price possible. Do yourself a favor and look into it.

Posted at 7:24PM on Aug 24th 2007 by secret

15. I just think that girl looks gorgeous. What nationality is she anyways? Spanish?

Posted at 5:16AM on Aug 25th 2007 by secret

16. http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-and-plasma/panasonic-th-42pz700u/4505-6482_7-32466828.html?tag=lst

Try this one or a similar one. There was one model that won an award, but I'm not sure if it's this one. Been a long time.

Posted at 4:16PM on Aug 25th 2007 by secret