Every day. Every way. GreenDaily.

Goodbye, Emotion Engine, you were quite useful

If we wanted to, we could probably throw a bunch of links about speculations, confirmations, suppositions, depositions, suppositories, or analgesics at you. Oops, looks like we did, even if the words made no sense. All the links but one pertain to all the PS3 news relating to the price cut, but what a lot of our readers have wondered was whether or not the new 80GB PS3 will get rid of the Emotion Engine chip used for backwards compatibility. The answer is yes.

SCEA's Kimberly Otzman went on record earlier today, stating "The current 60 GB model utilizes a hardware and solution for backwards compatibility, namely the Emotion Engine chip. The new 80 GB PS3 will use a software solution for backwards compatibility, similar to that currently found in the PAL model." So there you have it. The Emotion Engine chip will be phased out around August, with the release of the new model. We don't know how to take this news -- give us your opinion.

1. i will wait for E3 for the official word, there's NO WAY Sony is stupid enough to take Emotion Engine out, stick in a top 10 game and sell it for 100 bucks more. there's NO WAY

Sony needs to things in that 80GB model, HDMI cable and rumble. Anything less would make sure 80GB SKU won't make it pass its first b-day

Posted at 7:35PM on Jul 9th 2007 by kingofwale

2. meh,
it's a good thing that it's happening around the time there will finally be a bunch of new games out. That way you won't miss it that much. Plus its not like they're completely getting rid of backwards compatability, just making it slightly less user friendly.

Posted at 7:40PM on Jul 9th 2007 by dc69

3. I think it sux that they will take out the emotion chip out. I like playing all my ps2 games on my ps3. i would like that rumble-axis soon and maybe Home as well. I'm still waiting for more software updates with more options.

Posted at 7:45PM on Jul 9th 2007 by James Darc

4. Non-event here...

Software emulation can do far better than sticking a chip on the board. Some "retro gamers" will probably cry about it, but if you look at all the NES/Sega/etc. emulators out there they all do interesting tricks with the pixels to more than make up for the "realism" loss. It's like complaining that someone bought the Beatles album on CD when they should have gotten it on vinyl.

Posted at 7:49PM on Jul 9th 2007 by Andir3.0

5. Well, they could have left the EE out from the get go.. all PS3s would have ps2 emulation, and fw updates would increase the bc like xbox 360.

But, they added the EE knowing that bc wasnt all there at launch, now, its at an acceptable level (look at Euro launch.. people dont really care) that they can take it out and save money or lower the price.

They want to clear the 60gb inventory (and stop making them altogether, since they're more expensive) so that the 80gb can take its place. They also want a transition from 60-->80gb version, so they need to price the 80gb unit as a premium model .. this means a higher price until the 60gb are cleared. I suspect the 60gb version will be phased out and the 80 gb version will continue at $600 until xmas, where it will drop to $450 and a $550, 120gb IPTV-ready version will be out (at about the time of IPTV launch).

Posted at 7:54PM on Jul 9th 2007 by humpty

6. If you havent seen Sony's CEO trying to twist and turn things, check it out here

The best part is when he throws out at the end of the conversation "The PS3 is still dominant".. Um what world are you living in there guy? The PS3 is so dominant it has to have its price cut less than a year from launch?

Posted at 7:58PM on Jul 9th 2007 by CJ

7. I think the Emotion Chip is an excellent example of how Sony is loyal to its customers. Confused?
With the emotion chip they allowed people who had PS2 game libraries to enjoy all their games.

For us people who were early adopters we get full backwards compatibility. So thats good.

Posted at 7:59PM on Jul 9th 2007 by Andy

8. OOoooh I really like humptys prediction. But yeah I fully agree - I'm not TOO sure about being IPTV-ready by Christmas, but gosh would that be cool.

And to be honest, the 80GB version is quite the rip-off =P, but I guess the profits pure Sony on that one. But really, its a good way of phasing out the 60GB version with simultaeneous margin gain.

And lol @ that picture. I like that picture.

Posted at 8:02PM on Jul 9th 2007 by Dahk

9. http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=4043&start=0#end\

KILLZONE 2 SCREENS. Could be fake but who knows?

Posted at 8:02PM on Jul 9th 2007 by Andy

10. Oops to add to that, I'm not too sure about IPTV, but Video-On-Deman should probably be implemented by then =) Since Korea = test site already (any news on that lately? - It was suppsoed to be June wasn't it?). So we (at least US/CAN) should be getting that at around christmas. That'd be cool.

Posted at 8:05PM on Jul 9th 2007 by Dahk

11. @Dahk

I like how you add Canada to the mix "(at least US/CAN)"

Are you canadian? Still excited about those Killzone 2 screens. Shall I link again?

Posted at 8:07PM on Jul 9th 2007 by Andy

12. Yea, VoD .. thats what i meant.

Although, they already have their BRAVIA iptv dongle that attaches to the backs of new bravias. Anyways, i dont have cable, so, VoD or IPTV would be sweet for me. As long as it comes out in Canada.

Posted at 8:10PM on Jul 9th 2007 by humpty

13. Just Remember that Sony Owns their Hardware.
So, the Emulator is already running around 90% of the Old PS2 and PS1 titles.

It's Not like it was on the XBox360 where still only 10% of the titles are Backwards Compatible.

But if you're worried about it. Buy your PS3 Now before the Emotion Chip goes away. I got mine at Launch and everything game I have runs, even Demo Discs.

Posted at 8:13PM on Jul 9th 2007 by Scott Krueger

14. Make that "Every Game I have Runs..."

Posted at 8:14PM on Jul 9th 2007 by Scott Krueger

15. LOL @ Andy, both links are split-second gone. What the hell! =(
Find me another link!

... And yeahhhhh I'd be a canadian lol. Gotta represent my homies here =).

Posted at 8:15PM on Jul 9th 2007 by Dahk

16. >Sony promised 100% BC, and they still haven't done it, and now it's getting even worse. MS only promised "top titles", and they have EXCEEDED that.

and I'm sure Microsoft also promised a console that won't break every year. not everything will work out. ;)

but then again, 1 billion dollars in 1 fiscal year is enough of a punishment. ;)

Posted at 8:34PM on Jul 9th 2007 by kingofwale

17. I dont think it will matter in the long run. I think that the ps3 having great BC is/was only important because of the lack of games. If what sony says is true, and there will be 150 new games by the end of the year, then who really cares if you can play ps2 crap. I just finished god of war 2, but i wouldnt have even purchased it if the ps3 had more/better games.

Posted at 8:41PM on Jul 9th 2007 by Bangbang...

18. Sony Fixed My PS2's DRE 2 times for free. WTF are you talking about?

Posted at 8:51PM on Jul 9th 2007 by Blade

19. There gone. NOOOOOOOOO!!!

Why didn't I save em?

Posted at 8:54PM on Jul 9th 2007 by Andy

20. personally, I'm very pleased that I got my PS3 at launch and that it has the EE inside, because I'm one of the (probably few) people that bought a PS3 without ever having a PS2. So for me, I really do want the increased compatibility of the EE PS3, because it's like both PS2 and PS3 games are new to me.

I think it's like Andy said some posts up, they put it in there mainly for early adopters, because they were more likely to care about increased backwards compatibility than those who weren't really ready to make the purchase.

Posted at 8:54PM on Jul 9th 2007 by uberwaffle

Get exclusive first details on Secret Agent ClankCheck out the PlayStation Fancast podcast!PS3 Fanboy interviews Everyday Shooter's Jon Mak