What's right with this picture? Jim Cramer on BloggingStocks | Add to My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines

Crysis vs. Haze -- unnecessary comparison, or closer than you think?

The folks over at Crytek have time and again claimed their upcoming PC title Crysis is the most graphically advanced game ever. Is it? Over at PSU, the writers took the liberty to make some comparison screenshots between Crysis and the upcoming PS3 title Haze. Some would think it folly to compare any game with one touted as the most graphically advanced.

We disagree. The comparison shots show that, in some situations, Haze looks identical if not slightly better than Crysis. Other screenshots lean heavily toward Crysis as being the graphical victor. Especially when it comes to forest foliage. The point is this: the two games aren't that far apart in beauty. This is surprising. We'll leave the ultimate decision up to you, so check out the shots and let us know what you think.

[Thanks, Justin!]

1. Hm. The notion that Haze's graphics could even touch Crysis' never occurred to me, but the side-by-sides show that in many cases, Haze is only slightly inferior. I actually like the lighting and filter style of Haze much more than Crysis. Haze seems to have nicer light blooms and avoids using filters that kill all the colour to make the game seem gritty (seriously lame effect).

So yeah, I'd agree that graphically they're almost equal, and when stuff is in motion, you'd never be able to appreciate/notice the differences between the two.

Posted at 2:28PM on May 31st 2007 by Stef Geiger

2. Crysis definitely has a sharper look but Haze is looking pretty impressive! It's going to look sweet on a large-screen LCD TV. Enable mouse and keyboard support for it and a lot of PC gamers might consider picking up a PS3, instead of going with a major PC upgrade for Crysis.

Posted at 2:33PM on May 31st 2007 by JimyD

3. compare screenshots? it may appear only a bit inferiror, but in motion Crysis wins easily..

Posted at 2:42PM on May 31st 2007 by xion

4. Come on ...its not even close ...Crysis is so far superior than Haze.

Posted at 2:59PM on May 31st 2007 by Sy

5. ill admit when i first saw the jungle scenes of haze, they reminded me of crysis..

Posted at 3:11PM on May 31st 2007 by Gapsky412

6. @poster:

So what? People will go buy a kb/mouse for console shooters if they want to keep up.

There were alot of whiners about Battlefield2 on PC because jet pilots and heli pilots with joysticks could pwn anyone using a mouse/kb. Guess what happened? That's right, people bought more joysticks just to fly with. If anyone even starts to complain, it'll be like BF2 where people say 'bah, buy a joystick and stop crying'.

Once more people start getting the mouse/kb combo on the PS3, more games will support it. It's a win-win for everyone. Hopefully Sony can talk some devs into it and release an official bluetooth set that works well and doesn't cost too much. $50 for the set, wireless on bluetooth, would be perfect.

Posted at 4:06PM on May 31st 2007 by Popfrogs

7. @poster

The game knows when a keyboard and mouse are plugged in and will probably offer bifurcation for online play. So K/M players only play K/M players and gamepad players only play gamepad players.

Posted at 4:15PM on May 31st 2007 by Breeze

8. Epic has already stated that UT3 for the PS3 will have keyboard / mouse support. I doubt you would want to leave a feature like that on the table when UT3 drops.

Posted at 4:17PM on May 31st 2007 by Breeze

9. @3: Uhh, like I pointed out, when there's motion going on it's pretty hard to notice finer details etc, so I don't see how you can make that statement. Keep in mind we're talking about GRAPHICS. Maybe Crysis has better physics or something and that's what makes you say it looks better in motion, but that has nothing to do with graphics.

Posted at 4:18PM on May 31st 2007 by Stef Geiger

10. Really bad job by PSU.
Go to http://hazegame.uk.ubi.com/screenshots.php
Go to http://www.electronicarts.co.uk/games/8456/Screenshots/
The PSU images look really grainy compared to the ones on the actual site. Good work PSU...not!

Posted at 6:41PM on May 31st 2007 by massive_98

11. C'mon. These screenshots are completely unfair. Watch 10 seconds of any Crysis footage and compare that to Haze. Crysis is a hands down winner.

I will agree that the SCREENSHOTS look comparable, but that's where it stops.

@10: I disagree completely. When you start moving and seeing your environment literally alive around you, it makes a 100% difference. Physics aside, the lighting, textures, draw distance, soft shadows, self-shadowing, the amount of destructability, everything about that engine is amazing.

Unless Haze shows me some in-game footage, I'm not that impressed. And don't call me a troll, because I only own Playstation consoles (PS1,one,2,3,PSP) and read this site like a bible. But I still think that these comparisons are unfair.

Check out the latest vid from IGN.

Posted at 7:11PM on May 31st 2007 by adamantypants

12. In the initial screen shot posted... HAZE looks better. But does it matter if one bests the other... I mean the fact that its even close is good news for me. If they can get HAZE to look that good on the ps3, this early, then I know Crysis can be done on the ps3.

Posted at 7:21PM on May 31st 2007 by Thomas

13. After watching the Crysis vid, I somehow hoped that the most graphically advanced game ever would be more impressive. It IS the best I've seen, but not by a staggering margin. I'll be happy w/ Haze just to avoid the homosexuality of a keyboard/mouse combo. Man, like tongue kissing your brother I'd imagine. Big up to Haze; it's gonna be sick. Now they need to stagger those sticks...

Posted at 11:04PM on May 31st 2007 by Titty Pink

14. Although Crysis is the clear winner (provided you are blessed with a beefy system, and DX10 - otherwise it'd be closer to call), you have to give credit to Haze, it looks like a damn fine game, and not bad for a first effort.

The PS3 hardware has to last a good 7 or so years, and shows great signs of promise, so I'll wager the same as was said a few posts up, Haze2 should look pretty great. :)

Posted at 4:56AM on Jun 1st 2007 by TheGuyNextDoor

15. as a 360 owner i gotta say, im a bit jealous of how Haze looks. however, those yellow striped helmets are downright hideous, they need to do something about that

Posted at 5:19AM on Jun 1st 2007 by tyecies

16. Let's look at the demographics for the target audience of these games - Probably male and between 21 and 36 (a rough guesstimate).
Now, let's reduce that target audience by 5%.

"Why?" I hear you ask. Well, if like me you are colour blind (5% of the male population - see Wikipedia) then the Crysis comparison shot where an enemy soldier is stood on a tree just a few feet away is just, well, really difficult to make out. It honestly took me a second or two to see the soldier and in that second I would have been splattered.

Whilst the argument might be that Crysis therefore has the most realistic graphics, I would favour Haze as I can actually see all that I need to.

Posted at 6:12AM on Jun 1st 2007 by Ian

17. @ tyecies: It will also come out on the 360. They just delayed the 360 release by a few months in order to avoid running into Halo 3.

Posted at 7:25AM on Jun 1st 2007 by Bored

18. Crysis looks so much better than Haze. When you see the two games in motion, there is no contest. Haze looks great, don't get me wrong, but Crysis looks insane.

Posted at 1:37PM on Jun 1st 2007 by Andrew GO

19. This game is a PS3 exclusive. They don't even have the Xbox logo on Haze's website.

If we could take away all the hype about Halo 3 and compared it to Haze I don't know who would win?

They both look really great and they both have vehicles and cool weapons. No doubt Halo 3 well get much more publicity and sales even if it is worse than Haze.

Wouldn't it cost you like $3000 to play Crysis? (have to get a new computer)

Posted at 1:48PM on Jun 1st 2007 by massive_98

20. Haze is to xbox360 as Crysis is to PS3. Well according to these screenshots anyway.

Posted at 1:54PM on Jun 1st 2007 by Overgauss