Aisledash: Everything you need to know about the best day of your life | Add to My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines

Sixaxis to gain rumble capabilities sometime this year

The latest issue of PlayStation Magazine, according to a member over at the GameFAQs forum, the instigation of a rumbling Sixaxis may come sooner than expected. Ever since the lawsuit and all the hubbub with Immersion simmered down, everybody has been waiting for an announcement about rumble's "last-gen" technology making a comeback.

It seems the wait will not be as long as we expected. Even though Sony's talking heads dodge the question like its a flaming shuriken, a rumble-axis has been in the works for a bit and will be announced at the upcoming E3 event, followed by the announcement that a release will be scheduled for the redesigned controller for mid-November. Tilting and rumbling? We can't wait. We wonder, though -- will older PS3 games be able to update their software to include rumble technology?

[via Joystiq]

1. PS1/2 rumble in fw1.7 was the start... its was only a matter of time.

Posted at 10:03PM on May 24th 2007 by humpty

2. You guys can have your 4 hours of battery life with rumble. Me I'm sticking with 20 hours of happy fingers.

Posted at 10:21PM on May 24th 2007 by massive_98

3. I have never cared about rumble, except for one game: GT4. The rumble lets you know where your tires are.

Other than that, I turn it off.

And strangely, when I played GT:HD, I didn't even notice that rumble was absent. I was telling everyone about the "feel" of the game-- not noticing that it didn't even have rumble.

When it's done well, it's pretty cool. But playing GOW with rumble? Seemed ridiculous.

Just me. I don't care about rumble. But I AM glad that Sony is addressing this issue, because a LOT of people DO care.

Sony is listening, just like Nintendo had to start listening, after they released a cartridge-based system when everyone else was using CD's.

Posted at 10:23PM on May 24th 2007 by John

4. I didn't even notice rumble was gone for the first couple of months playing my PS3. Too busy with R:FOM

Posted at 10:54PM on May 24th 2007 by massive_98

5. Can we trade in our old controllers for new ones? ; ;

Posted at 10:56PM on May 24th 2007 by Magma

6. Be carefull....
Talk of rumble on PS3 brings about questions and declaration of religious belief.

Posted at 10:58PM on May 24th 2007 by Matt B

7. yeah, for some games just the sound is enough to immerse you in them. and if you have s surround sound system or a big sub woofer, then that thing is way better than rumbling. I still want it though.

Posted at 11:02PM on May 24th 2007 by thatpspkid

8. well ima tell you, now im like worried cause lets say, gtaIV comes out, will the rumble still function with it, or like somekind of update or something, i mean im only gonna get the ps3 because of gta and home and resistance and well cause its the ps3, i like both systems, there great i mean, imagine if both companies worked together on one console or like make a console togethere how f ing insane would dat be, imean wow i didnt even think of dat, too bad it wont happen in 10 years, well im still worried dat gta wont have it cause i really like it in the ps2 gta's it was preety awsome. viva la ps3

Posted at 11:10PM on May 24th 2007 by KILLU

9. I really hope it's the new tech that Immersion announced, it looks really cool.

Posted at 11:20PM on May 24th 2007 by vizunary

10. KILLU: Oh no! Someone's stolen all the punctuation keys from your keyboard! You can't post another message till you get them back!

Posted at 11:23PM on May 24th 2007 by Stef Geiger

11. I think it's safe to say that it will be the new tech. First, if it isn't implemented in the PS3, where WILL it be used? 2. Sony will definitely want to best Microsoft's and Nintendo's efforts. Personally, I was blown away at the strength of the rumble on the 360. Also, it really goes in line with their whole "rumble is last-gen", because they'll be able to say "This rumble is cutting edge."

Posted at 11:24PM on May 24th 2007 by Stef Geiger

12. And sounding like fools while they do it, just like everything else they've said about PS3 Stef.

Did you know both the Xbox and 360 controller circuit boards have the inputs for motion capture in them but microsoft just never implemented the chip technology in the controller to make it a reality.

I don't need 6 axis to enjoy my games, just like some people don't need rumble to enjoy theirs.

Personally, I left my PS2 connected for God of War and Tomb Raider Anniversary because I prefer rumble.

I hope the new controller is priced reasonably.

Posted at 11:47PM on May 24th 2007 by Urza

13. @ #7

"rumble is quite essential to gaming experience. it's been what separates consoles from Pc."
Really? And theres me thinking my $300USD Logi G25 FFB wheel was about as good as it got for sub-$500 prices, what we REALLY needed was a Rumbling feeling on our PC simulators...

You do realise that PC's have had Force Feedback for a good 10-15 years, dare i utter its name, but M$ were one of the first with mass produced FFB Joysticks, that would have been the early 90's, and the PS3 having it is what seperates the two?

Rumble is a watered down version of what has been available to the PC market for over a decade, its what keeps consoles targeted for the average gamer.

Posted at 11:53PM on May 24th 2007 by P

14. Rumble+SixaxiS=Perfect controller.

Posted at 12:57AM on May 25th 2007 by Joey_Numbers

15. i hope they make that boomerang controller.. itll be sweet azz with rumble!!

Posted at 2:26AM on May 25th 2007 by Liquidsnakez

16. Thank you #14. I was about to jump all over that.

As for the rumble...it is nothing special to me. I've always turned it off. Now I just hope the redesign of the control makes it feel even more comfortable in the hands. That is what I'm excited about...but it makes me wonder if its the boomerang?!

Posted at 5:16AM on May 25th 2007 by Stellarpimp

17. Rumble would be fantastic.

Apparentely Immersion have developed a 'next-gen rumble functionality'. Hmmm. Could this 'nex-gen rumble' be on the PS3 controller? I hope its an improvement over the old one.

I NEED RUMBLE. Find it hard to live without it. I still play my PS2 at times and I like it when your controller rumbles ever so slightly when going on the bumps on GT4 and so on.

Luckily I only have one PS3 controller! I'll end up buying two rumble pads though.

Posted at 5:16AM on May 25th 2007 by nr

18. @16... I didn't read the last post... I guess great minds think alike. *winks*

Thinking of *winks* PS3Fanboy, get us some dayum smiles! *cheer*

Posted at 5:19AM on May 25th 2007 by Stellarpimp

19. Great... the return of the gaming vibrator to pleasure you and keep you entertained ¬_¬

Is this supposed to be exciting news? If you wanted vibrations so much, why not just attach a vibrator to your Sixaxises with selotape, there, vibrations!

Didn't care before and still don't, I can snap necks and blow heads off and have the same amount of fun as those with rumble >.

Posted at 10:08AM on May 25th 2007 by maverick_saturn_626

20. I don't notice not having rumnble at all, its the weight of the controller I notice.

The controller is un-naturally light, and so even though i know its durable, my brain tells me I shouldnt squeeze the controller very hard or I could damage it, thus causing my hand to get cramped by holding it in an awkward way.

Again, no big deal. I just think rumble would be an awesome addition to the controller.

I don't want a total redisgn, because that is VERY hard to do. We all know what happened when they tried the boomerang....that was terrible...

...and dont say that Sony is screwing over everybody, because first of all 3 million people doesnt mean crap, and xbox changed their controller also and nobody said anything

Posted at 11:25AM on May 25th 2007 by Gamble20