Calling it like he sees it: Jim Cramer on BloggingStocks | Add to My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines

PS3 sales worse than predicted

The dire prediction that PS3 would only sell 100k units in April was way off target. It was too high.

NPD released their numbers today, and unfortunately, the situation is so grim that Sony's PR machine may not be able to come up with a suitable spin. Sony's latest console endeavor sold through only 82k units. In comparison, the Xbox 360 sold through 174k units (which is also, admittedly, disappointing).

All hope is not lost, of course. NPD's Anita Frasier spoke to GameDaily about the state of the PS3: "Undoubtedly the sales results are not encouraging to date, but I for one am not counting out the PS3," she said. "While there has been good content available for the platform, there hasn't yet been the 'killer' title that tends to drive hardware sales acquisition among the broader audience. As the content ramps up, I'm confident the hardware sales will too. Rather than revisit this each and every month, particularly as we head into traditionally slower months of the year, I think we should really wait to see what the picture looks like in 6 months. Everything will be much clearer then."

1. Are there any killer titles on the horizon?

I'm not picking either one of these (360 or ps3) until they drop to $300 or lower; I can't see that happening for the ps3 for many, many years.

Posted at 9:50PM on May 17th 2007 by TK00

2. When you think about it, what exclusive has been released recently, as in the last month or two besides Calling All Cars?

All that's happened lately is Sony's been adding to the list of "Coming Soon", but nothing's come yet. Yay for Home and Little Big Planet, but they also aren't out yet, and Lair and Heavenly Sword simply got delayed. All the other stuff is even more nebulous as far as street dates go... what sells consoles is what's in stores.

And I think a summer/fall price cut happened the instant those numbers hit Sony's desks, unless Lair and the Home beta somehow magically at least double sales.

Proper ps2 scaling would help too (anti-aliasing, anistropic filtering). Where the heck is even an official comment on the new firmware rumors?

Posted at 9:56PM on May 17th 2007 by apease

3. "Lair and Heavenly Sword simply got delayed"

I question the whether or not we can even consider Lair and Heavenly Sword killer apps. at this point. Everyone I've talked to that went to Gamer's Day has said that Heavenly Sword is generic, and Lair is just plain bad. Apparently its not limited to a few people, as Kotaku and other sites are reporting about Lair being bad.

Don't take what I say the wrong way. I still think these games have a chance, and most PS3 owners will probably pick them up on hype alone. It just gives me this uneasy feeling that these two games will do absolutely nothing to spark interest in the PS3.

Posted at 10:04PM on May 17th 2007 by Next-Gen-Gamer

4. Let's face it. The PS3 is overpriced, there are no must have titles for it, and the games have been so-so at best since the launch a little over six months ago. I purchased the 360 shortly after launch and the quality of the games was much better than what I am seeing on the PS3.

For the last 3 months all I have done with my Playstation is watch Blu-ray movies. I am seriously considering selling it and just buying a dedicated player that will let me hear 7.1 audio.

I am not a 360 fanboy. I own a Wii, DS Lite, PSP, 360, and the PS3. Sony just seems to be in a funk at the moment, and I really hope they are able to correct things.

Posted at 10:08PM on May 17th 2007 by William Buckley

5. depends on what you're 'predicting' that is. In a console with 600 dollar name tag and the best game this month is what?? "Calling all cars"?

yeah, I was predicting double Japanese sales number (2 * 44K) = 88K

so, I guess my prediction is right on par.

Posted at 10:11PM on May 17th 2007 by kingofwale

6. " predict similar number UNTIL Ninja Gaiden comes out. And then we will have our console war."

A Port from a last gen system! to fight a next gen console war..... Emmmmm i think not -_-

Posted at 10:24PM on May 17th 2007 by L

7. I sure hope Sony sheds some light on that Afrika game. Out of all Sony's exclusives this one is the most interesting of all of em.

Are they any other forgotten exclusives Sony has been lightly hinting about?

Posted at 10:34PM on May 17th 2007 by massive_98

8. "and I predict similar number UNTIL Ninja Gaiden comes out. And then we will have our console war."

Ninja Gaiden = Also on DS
You seriously think Ninja Gaiden is going to help the PS3 in Japan?

Posted at 10:36PM on May 17th 2007 by Next-Gen-Gamer

9. >You seriously think Ninja Gaiden is going to help the PS3 in Japan?

why, you DON'T think Ninja Gaiden will sell in Japan?

Posted at 10:39PM on May 17th 2007 by kingofwale

10. I think it is pretty incredible considering there was no game release this month. If release schedules keep on schedule, their is enough firepower dropping to get the PS3 6M unit sold by the end of the year.

The glass half full or half empty.

How do you exist?

Posted at 10:52PM on May 17th 2007 by Matt B

11. I actually had a Wii but the graphics pissed me off so bad after seeing a PS3 in 480i that I returned it to get a PS3. I had the last gen Xbox and liked it a lot, but I'm not fond at all of the 360. But the PS3 and Sony are slowly pissing me off more and more. The PS3 is like the kid who gets straight C's in school, but scored really high on the SAT and has so much potential to succeed if he just put his mind to it. I'm tired of hearing what my PS3 is capable of and I want to play what it's capable of. I think we're stuck in a hard place right now. More developers are just porting games because of lackluster PS3 sales, therefor keeping the sales even lower. We need one or two massive just in your face exclusives that will never go to the 360, maybe some type of shooter and Gran Turismo. Until then I don't see the PS3 moving more units until the price comes down. People can't justify spending $500-$600 dollars to play a bunch of "meh" games. Every time I go to Wal-Mart I'm looking for a new game to buy but nothings come out that I want (I own 6 games.) I just hope that something really drastic happens to make the PS3 dominant so we can get some games that are actually designed to be played on the PS3, not just ported off the 360. If thats all that will end up happening I should have just bought the 360.

Posted at 10:53PM on May 17th 2007 by Seminole

12. Sony needs to do three things to sell this console:

1- lower the price

2- lower the price

3- lower the price

C'mon, Sony! I'm rootin' for ya! Do the right thing!

Posted at 10:56PM on May 17th 2007 by steve Johnson

13. First, Sony has to lower those prices.

Second, use the lower cost per unit sold to build a time machine.

Third, bring those games that everyone feels compelled to list to justify PS3's existence from the future to the present.

I've said it a million times. Stop telling me what is coming in X years is worth me spending $600 now. I don't buy into that logic. For one, price might drop before then. How stupid would I look for subsidizing a price drop for everyone else in the world...

Posted at 11:19PM on May 17th 2007 by Edge of Blade

14. All I'm gonna say is; give me one good reason to buy a PS3 right now. It's not launch, and it's fall before we'll see anything new. With the rumours of price cuts and everything else, why would anyone considering it not wait if they hadn't bought it already?
Ninja Gaiden, while great, isn't going to appeal to too many more people than who already have the system. It's not a broad-market game to begin with, and it certainly isn't the sort of title that people are going to tell each other is worth buying the ps3 for. Until we have a couple of huge titles out and get some major support for the library, sales won't pick up.
Lair and Heavenly Sword seem to be the new "wel..." titles. From what I've read and seen, HS is being blasted as being too much like GoW. Which is a game a lot of people love, including the critics. Hopefully it rises above that, graphically it looks great to me in the new videos released, and gameplay does remind me of God of War and Devil May Cry. No complaints about that from me, I love both of those. Generic? Halo3 is generic, and people eat it up.
Lair is the game that is hyped, and everyone wants to like. The guys on Kotaku are certainly coming down on it, and the whole "who wants to ride a dragon for hours?" comments continue. Well, who wants to fly a plane or drive a car for hours? It seems part of his complaints were related to basic design, and part of them to the nature of the game itself. Fair enough, I'm sure it still has some work to be done on it, and hopefully they are able to iron out the issues that get brought up. However, I think it's a title that may benefit from sitting down and playing and getting to know, rather than 15 minutes worth of impressions of an unfinished build, but we'll see. Could be complete crap, but I give it the benefit of the doubt because of the teams previous work on Rogue Squadron, and because I really, really want to like this game.

It will be 2008 before we can make any real predictions to what will happen, specifically what goes down in good old December. If Sony has a poor holiday season, 360 sells another couple million, and Nintendo continues it's steamrolling...

Posted at 11:22PM on May 17th 2007 by mccomber

15. MattB:

Posted at 11:24PM on May 17th 2007 by Edge of Blade

16. Kotaku is not a valid source, at least, not in the sense of truth. If you'll remember, they were the people who were spewing bad juju about ps3 before it was released. Funny thing: if you wanted to comment about their false information? You had to be accepted into their elite circle. So even if you had links to developers and websites to contradict them, you couldn't, because they required that you pass certain tests before being able TO COMMENT. To voice free opinion. To cite actual developer comments.

I'm not sure who runs Kotaku, but freedom of the press, it is not.

Posted at 11:46PM on May 17th 2007 by John

17. "why, you DON'T think Ninja Gaiden will sell in Japan?"

Oh it'll probably sell extremely well, moreso for the DS than the PS3. Japan is the only country that I know of where a handheld can hurt a console. Just because we don't see it that way doesn't change anything. I think it could sell well on the PS3. Just not enough to be considered helpful.

"Only 6 mil by the end of the year would cause me and the media to pick up shovels and start digging a hole. 6 million would be a MONUMENTAL failure."

Yeah. I'm not sure what Matt B thinks is good, but with the PS3 floating around 3 million now, 6 million wouldn't be good by any stretch. Even if we pretend the 360 and Wii don't exist, the PS3 would be screwed at only 6 million.

Posted at 11:48PM on May 17th 2007 by Next-Gen-Gamer

18. Another interesting thing: notice how the comments change when a bunch of good PR comes out about Sony.

I'm smellin ya, you little Microsoft plants!

Oh, and let's bring some discipline into this. Ever notice how someone will say, "I bought a 360, and the games are way better," but they don't justify it? They can't explain how they games are... "way better?"

Plants.

"Feed me, Seymo'!"

Posted at 11:53PM on May 17th 2007 by John

19. "Kotaku is not a valid source, at least, not in the sense of truth."

PS3 uber-developer David Jaffe, IGN, GameSpot, 1UP, and countless other sites hold Kotaku in high regard. If full-blown gaming news sites and press "insiders" believe Kotaku to be a valid source, then I seriously doubt anyone is going to believe you.

"If you'll remember, they were the people who were spewing bad juju about ps3 before it was released."

Did it sound like "the PS3 isn't going to do squat at $500-$600"? If so, that wasn't Kotaku. That was everyone. G4 gave the PS3 a chance, and that's about it.

"Funny thing: if you wanted to comment about their false information? You had to be accepted into their elite circle."

You mean registering for free? The only reason they monitor people's comments is so that they can avoid trolls. People argue over consoles all the time, and there are quite a few people who love the PS3. Not sure what "elite circle" you're talking about.

"So even if you had links to developers and websites to contradict them, you couldn't, because they required that you pass certain tests before being able TO COMMENT. To voice free opinion. To cite actual developer comments."

Really? That hasn't been my experience through reading Kotaku. People source positive and negative news about all consoles.

Posted at 12:03AM on May 18th 2007 by Next-Gen-Gamer

20. "Another interesting thing: notice how the comments change when a bunch of good PR comes out about Sony."

Uh...what? "PS3 sales worse than predicted"...

Posted at 12:06AM on May 18th 2007 by Next-Gen-Gamer