Announcing Aisledash: a blissful blog about weddings | Add to My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines

20GB PS3 discontinued from Sony's official store

Well, if this isn't just a kick in the ol' keyboard! Seems that Sony's official store, SonyStyle, has taken down any listings of the 20GB PlayStation 3. That's correct, sir, all you see now is the 60GB model. Does this portend a worldwide shunning of the lower-end console, or is it simply being phased out in a different way? As in, available upon personal request, but no longer shipping en masse to stores alongside their 60GB brethren?

Obviously, we don't have an answer, but we do have a little comment. That "lower end" model might become akin to those Beanie Babies way back in the 90's -- as in, the 20GB will become the "rare model" and be more respected. Sure, the chances of that are very slim, but who knows -- perhaps the lack of chrome trim and card readers and wireless internet will somehow turn into a good thing. Make absolutely no sense? Good, then our point is made.

[Thanks, Jason!]

1. What I'm getting from this situation (at least until further information becomes available), is that Sony is trying to force the consumer to buy the higher-end model of PS3. That tactic could backfire majorly, causing a large decrease in sales.

If they are indeed doing that (and I hope I'm wrong), the average consumer who is reluctant to even get the lower-end model due to the price... is going to be extremely upset.

Posted at 5:45PM on Apr 6th 2007 by Voice-O-Reason

2. @ 1

I agree, the $500 SKU was Sony's way of boasting "get all these extra features for only $100 more than a 360," and now the $200 price gap would become a reality, because unlike the $300 360, the $500 PS3 was actually... usable

This definitely could backfire in the long run, unless it coincides with the rumor about the $100 price drop

Posted at 5:49PM on Apr 6th 2007 by Mr Khan

3. My 20 gig is now a 120 gig i have no use for the memory card reader, my tv has a slot and so does my laptop no need for it on my ps3 my house is already prewired with ethernet ports behind the TV running my DVR set up too, my 20 gig (now 120 gig) is better value than any other out there 120 gig laptop HDD was 80 bucks on sale at local circuit city

Posted at 5:51PM on Apr 6th 2007 by chris

4. It's about time. This is the real system everyone should be buying anyway.

______________

Posted at 2:11AM on Apr 7th 2007 by Steve

5. Honestly I think they are going to lower the price on the PS3, the 60 GB version is probably going to be 480 dollars to compete with the 480 dollar 360. They are getting rid of the other models becuase this will cut production costs when they manufacture one unit around the price of the 360. They might even bump the hdd up to 120gigs.

Posted at 2:41AM on Apr 7th 2007 by Number 01

6. Number 01, that actually makes a great deal of sense, and puts the rumors of a price cut into the proper context. Removing the 20GB model to lower production costs makes perfect sense.

However, and I'm by no means an expert... I was led to believe that that the PS3 was already going to lose billions upon billions of dollars, regardless of if the console sold or not.

And that a price cut within the first few years would cost them even more in the long run. Which would effectively push the company into financial ruin (this last bit was from a semi-recent news report that suggested Sony was exceptionally close to bankruptcy).

P.S. - Steve, what do you mean by "the real system"? I understand *what* you mean, but it seems a bit odd to say that. Sure it's the ideal model if you want the most features, but there are other things to take into consideration:

The price obviously is on everyone's mind first and foremost. And yes it is worth it if you think of it as an inexpensive blu-ray player with gaming features. But what about the users who have no need for blu-ray? Mainly the non-HD crowd. And that's what it comes down to really, why would a consumer without an HDTV want to pay extra for HD-features they can't use?

I for one have no HDTV, I can't afford one, and since I don't have one, half of the PS3's higher-end features are useless to me:

An HDMI port - Without an HDTV this port is meaningless to me.

Four USB ports - 2 max is all I need, and even then.

Built-in Wifi - I've found wireless gaming to be completely unreliable, I prefer cables.

Flash card readers - I don't use any sort of flash media.

Additionally the viewpoint of the PS3 being a high-end blu-ray movie player for less than a standard blu-ray player is moot, as only someone with an HDTV can see a major difference between standard DVD and the next-gen formats.

All of those features are useless to me, and others like me. All they do is needlessly up the cost so that the lower-end game consumer can't afford the product. In fact, Sony, give us a 50 or 60GB model without any of the features the lower-end doesn't need, and you'll sell a heck of a lot more "basic" PS3 consoles.

Posted at 3:28AM on Apr 7th 2007 by Champloo

7. Oh, and to clarify what I said above when I spoke of wireless gaming being unreliable (in my experience)... I meant wireless internet gaming, and not wireless controllers. Wireless controllers are awesome and a definite prerequisite for modern gaming.

Posted at 3:34AM on Apr 7th 2007 by Champloo

8. I have the 20GN PS3 its all i need i dont need memory slots, it has usb ports and i already have a 20 in 1 usb dongle. I also dont need wireless..

I could upgrade the HDD but when i though about it i have no need to at present. If sony are getting rid of the 20GB model its a $100 proce rise in my opinion for the mass market users..

Posted at 6:38AM on Apr 7th 2007 by mike

9. Number 01, that doesn't make much sense. If they discontinue the 20gb, to keep the same quantities in stores they have to produce more of the 60gb. Production costs won't be going down. I'm assuming they did it since the 20gb version was losing them more money the 60gb one does. And keep dreaming when you think they are going to magically drop it to 480 dollars. You are aware they are losing close to 200 dollars on every 60gb system right now, correct? Even when they manage to stop losing as much due to cheaper production, another 120 dollar price drop will keep losing them money. Just because you've been hearing rumors and you "honestly think" it will drop, doesn't mean it will happen. We've been hearing rumors of 360 price drops for a few months too, even expecting one once the elite version came out, but nothing changed. If Sony does drop the price, Microsoft will follow suit, and the difference will be negligible.

Posted at 11:56AM on Apr 7th 2007 by scott

10. Finally, the 20GB version was useless, but by doing this, they should've reduced the 60GB to $500, or else just keep the 20GB.

Posted at 11:18PM on Apr 8th 2007 by Michael

11. o well i got a 20 gig but i dont need all tht other stuff why would i need a memory card slot wen i have a hdd. and i thin kthe other slot is for like a camera memory stick, i can just connect a camera to it or use my psp to put pic son it the 20gb it upgradable u can buy a we-fi adapter (from wut i heard) but i just use my laptop with a ethernet cable connected to my ps3. so im happy.. and the only way a 20gb ps3 wood become rare is like the super nintendo 20 years later lol..

Posted at 11:22PM on Apr 8th 2007 by dakota

12. While this may cut costs for Sony I predict it's going to be a marketing catastrophe. The way I figure it is up until now anyone who wants a 60GB PS3 but can't afford it steps down to the next best thing: the 20GB, but now the next best thing is the Xbox360. Say goodbye to your sales Sony.

Posted at 4:06AM on Apr 12th 2007 by Travis

13. Just bought the low end model off of ebay.
Pretty good price, but I want all the extras.
I have no problems changing out the hdd when I
need to, but have no idea about upgrading to wifi.
Someone help me with this please.

Posted at 8:36PM on May 6th 2007 by joe cerny

14. I have a 20 gig and that's all I need. It does make sense for Sony, and not just to screw the customer into paying $100 more. Having to produce only one model is cheaper than 2. just imagine how much more it cost them just to order 2 different plastic covers for the media slots. I think M$ will do the same with the 360. Now they produce the Elite with HDMI. I am sure they will eventually all have the HDMI mother board. They probably just have to exhaust there current supply of old ones first.

Posted at 3:10AM on Jun 6th 2007 by Jason