Aisledash: the new daily resource for getting married right | Add to My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines

PS3 named among the Top 10 most overrated products of all time!

PC MagazineThose two-faced bastards over at PC Magazine -- who just last month rated the PS3 over the Wii as the new console to get -- have published a Top 10 list of the "Most Overrated Products of All Time!"

Rounding out the top 10 is our very own PS3. We think the PS3 is a bit young to join any "all time" lists just yet, but the list does have merit for its entertainment value. Here's the complete list of the losers:
  1. Any version of MS Windows after Windows 95
  2. :CueCat
  3. Lotus 1-2-3
  4. AOL
  5. Apple iPod shuffle
  6. Microsoft Bob
  7. Google Video
  8. Bose QuietComfort 2 Headphones
  9. Microsoft PowerPoint
  10. Sony PlayStation 3
You can see it all in print by picking up the Febrary 6th edition of the magazine.

1. These Geeks Need to Check their Pocket Protectors!

Windows 95 was not that great.
XP Works quite well (other than costing 4x as much).

Microsoft Bob should be at the Top of the List.
That was just Mr Gates letting us know what he thought of the Average intelligence of a typical PC User.

I find my PS3 working Quite well, and it has REAL Backwards Compatibility Unlike my Stupid XBox360.

I bought Blazing Angels for my PS3 even though the 360 version could be found for $20 cheaper used.
Why? Because When the XBox720 Comes out All my 360 Games will not work with it.
Not being able to play my XBox Games on my 360... That sound pretty OverRated to me.

Also OverRated. XBox Live. I have used Both XBox Live and Playstation Network. I read everywhere how much worse it is than Live, but I don't see it. Why do I have to pay $49 a year for Live. Both Play Games online. PS Network has Resistance 40 Player Matches. Both Have Downloadable Content, sure there is no Background downloading yet on the PS3, but the 360 Launched the Same Way. Both Have Downloadable Videos, Demos, etc.

Everywhere online I read that XBox Live is better.
Where is it better. Because it has Themes? I think Free is better. Heck The XBox360 Now has Burger King ads all over it. If I have to see commercials then I should get something for free, Hey... How about Live for Free.

Posted at 10:51PM on Jan 18th 2007 by Kruegmeister

2. To an extent they are right. The PS3 is beter than the Wii....But in all honestly it was very over hyped.

Posted at 10:55PM on Jan 18th 2007 by The1

3. If you have an X-360 and XBOX LIVE..I will be amazed. X-Live is light years ahead of what SONY is offering. I have all three consoles and I give credit where it's due.

-----------------------------------------------------------

1. These Geeks Need to Check their Pocket Protectors!

Windows 95 was not that great.
XP Works quite well (other than costing 4x as much).

Microsoft Bob should be at the Top of the List.

Why? Because When the XBox720 Comes out All my 360 Games will not work with it.

Everywhere online I read that XBox Live is better.

Posted at 10:51PM on Jan 18th 2007 by Kruegmeister 0 stars

Posted at 11:17PM on Jan 18th 2007 by The1

4. @ #1

Take a deep breath, partner. Everything will be ok. I have not dealt with the PS Network but from my understanding isn't each game company required to come up with their own online play? I was not under the impression that PS Network had an infrastructure setup and in place for game companies to utilize--they need to setup their own infrastructure, so the online experience is only as good as the developer will make it. Whereas, MS has all of that ready to go and utilizes their own servers and such.

I may be wrong on that though. Is that correct?

Posted at 11:22PM on Jan 18th 2007 by Frosty22

5. From my understanding, Microsoft servers only handle the gamertags and rankings. Places like EA still have to have server farms for XBox Live. Again, I think I read that somewhere and without further research I can't verify. I just don't care enough to check.

Posted at 11:33PM on Jan 18th 2007 by Andir2.0

6. Overrated? I've heard nothing but bitter whining from people regarding the PlayStation 3. I think they're just looking for yet another chance to bitch about the console, with no actual real reason to do so.

But, wait a minute... This is a PC magazine. Who cares? What would they honestly know about console gaming?

Posted at 12:06AM on Jan 19th 2007 by Bland

7. The PS3 is massively over-hyped... and when it comes to online service, you get what you pay for. Last I checked, $12 a month or whatever I'm paying for Live is a great deal... at least more than 90,000 ppl. can download something at once without crashing the network.

If backwards compatibility is one of your major arguments Kruegmeister, then you make the 360's case for it... especially considering you STILL HAVE YOUR OLD CONSOLE. But hey, its cool to pay 600 bucks to play your old games on a 99 dollar machine.

Posted at 12:08AM on Jan 19th 2007 by hillsh

8. @1
"Also OverRated. XBox Live. I have used Both XBox Live and Playstation Network. I read everywhere how much worse it is than Live, but I don't see it."

I SERIOUSLY doubt you have a 360 or participate on Xbox Live. I have both a 360 and a PS3, and can tell you Live is years ahead of PSNetwork, both figuratively and in reality. It is well worth the $50.00, and if Sony truly intends on competing with Xbox Live, they are going to have to start charging so they can create a unified infrastructure.
Being a "fanboy" is fine, but quit deluding yourself.

Posted at 12:14AM on Jan 19th 2007 by knight marquise

9. Personally, I think the Wii is far more deserving to be on that list than the PS3, but anyway. Not sure about the rest of those, but I sure as hell agree with Lotus 1-2-3, AOL, and the Ipod shuffle. Crap, the lot of them. And how the hell can the PS3 be "overrated", when most outlets haven't rated it very well in the first place. It's far too early in the lifecycle of the product to be rating it one way or the other. The package seriously needs to be fixed to contain component cables and a longer charge cord though.

Posted at 12:16AM on Jan 19th 2007 by mietha

10. umm if the ps3 is up there the wii should definetly be there as well. i have all 3 systems, or i have the ps3 and 360 while a roomate has the wii. ill admit the wii was fun intially, but all in all the games are so simple that i lose interest after an hour if that... i mean wii sports is fun but after swining your arm in one direction, it gets boring and not to mention tiring.

in fact my roomate just bought wario ware: smooth moves. i was hoping for something amazing... turns out that game falls a bit short of amazing (its actually kind of weird). it got a rating of 9.1 or something on ign according to my roomate. some of the the minigames on wario are stupid. for example you just move the wiimote to the right and you just completed one minigame. the game seems fit more for kids trying to develop their motorskills.

on the other hand, ill admit that the ps3 is lacking in some aspects namely game titles, but i certainly believe that it does not deserve a top 10 for being overated.

also in response to the ps3 being overpriced... the xbox360 i feel is just as costly. all the accessories the wireless adapter, quick charge packs, extra batteries, its not cheap. i spent over 200$ on controllers and stuff. i think people are misled when msft says that 360 is only 400

Posted at 12:20AM on Jan 19th 2007 by shekki

11. I think they're confusing some of the overated products with just products. Powerpoint? Anyone hear hype about Powerpoint? Headphones? Ipod? What the hell is wrong with these people? A lame attempt at adding another page to a magazine. And the Cue Cat? If I remember it right, it was given for free by Radio Shack. I certainly don't remember it being announced as the biggest life changing product ever.

Posted at 12:45AM on Jan 19th 2007 by josh

12. @thinknexttime: The PS Store has dowloadable content... There was content added for several of the games including cars, tracks, maps, levels, etc... You can download Movies and TV Shows (there are currently none on there, but it CAN be done). Multitasking is coming (as with the 360 adding it later after launch).

The rest of that stuff is easily patchable, so it's not all that and a bag of roses.

Posted at 12:54AM on Jan 19th 2007 by Andir2.0

13. I have a hard time respecting a PC magazine the says there were no great versions of Windows since 95. They're living in the past. Windows 95 was great (at the time) and I would even say ideal for home users. It sucked as far as business was concerned.

And Lotus 1-2-3 was the most popular spreadsheet application until Windows, and a suite package called Office that completely changed everything. Although 1-2-3 did make the jump to Windows, it took forever to appear, and by then it's market share was on the downward slide. IBM eventually purchased Lotus (for the purpose of acquiring Notes) and basically abandoned other Lotus products.

AOL is far less relevant now, but it holds a place in history for bringing the most mainstream online service to the masses, and may have been the first internet experience for many. AOL popularized instant messaging. And now they're operating a successful series of blogs (Weblogs), among other properties.

I fail to understand why PowerPoint is on the list. It's the most popular presentation package over the last decade. Most, if not all major corporations use it.

The iPod Shuffle is very popular flash-based player. I for one received the latest iteration as a gift, and now I find myself using it more than my hard drive based iPod due to size and convenience.

Never heard of :CueCat

I'm surprised anyone remembers Microsoft Bob. It disappeared quickly many many years ago. Wasn't it for Windows 3.1?

Goggle Video is an also ran, in a market dominated by YouTube.

I've never used the Bose headphones, so I can't comment on that one.

And the PS3's potential has hardly been realized. It's been what, two months since being released?

Posted at 1:03AM on Jan 19th 2007 by nick

14. @ thinknexttime

OOOOH, little touchy are ya with the "you let your mom purchase your PS3" comment.

Okay, here's the deal. Online is nice on a video gaming console. Very nice. Is it mandatory for a system to have online to be the deal sealer for me? No, not at all. I believe it is a necessary evil to have online access with a computer, becuz there is REALLY nothing much else to do with a computer, but a gaming console? Hey, u wanna play whatever with me, I have extra controllers, come over and make it more fun, I could care less for online, basically.

With that said, the biggest problem I have with the PS network is there is not so many things to pick from that I'm sick to my stomach (which in the case of nausea from too much variety is a good thing). Other than that, Loving the thing, yes, background downloading would be great, but in that case, it will be coming soon kinda like it took a while to come for the xbox 360.

And to address your question to my fellow PS3 owner as a PS3 owner myself, no I am definately upset with my PS3 purchase...NOT!!! (borat reference)

Um and I can't see how your longest paragraph proves that THEMES are not the only thing live offers better than PS Online. You sound as if you don't have a PS3 and are just blindly talking shit about something which u know only enough to argue densely about... Most of the things you've named by the second half to end are things I have used with the PS Network and I haven't even played online at all yet... This amount of flame should be backed by some type of research because you obviosly didn't consider that the PS3 had any of the features you named, poor choice of argument, my friend...

"And consumers aren't stupid, just loyal fanboys." From the horses mouth, out comes the self-reflected truth... I usually can competently argue a point with 360 fanboys because they usually have decent arguments, but you remind me of the PS fanboys that make me ashamed (flamed and confused:().

And according to Resistance, which you obviously haven't played with your lack of PS3, 40 players online isn't a gimmick, becuz gimmicks usually aren't supported widely. Hmmmm.... several 40 player matches happen all the time on resistance, must make it a good feature, otherwise it wouldn't get used much at all, would it?

Oh and as a side answer to that side comment, PS3 fanboy includes all news PS3. It would be completely convoluted and a fanboy site in denial if it were ALL good news. Shit happens, you should know about it. Same with the 360 last year this time.
Now that I think about it, the PS3 is following in the same footsteps as the 360 did in terms of a horrid backdrop. It was ridiculed b4 it was released when it was on MTV. It had release frenzy and Ebay high prices, sucky release games which I wouldn't have bought if I had gotten a 360 around launch (except the disappointing perfect darkh sequel. Like I said, disappointing:().

Anyway, Love my PS360gig, you love your 360, we can get along on different platforms as fans of our systems.

There are no games that interest me for the 360 except Gears of War, which is pretty pathetic to have one game that I like for the system, so didn't buy the system, no love loss, not my cup of tea, but hey, maybe u like it, good for you, you don't like PS3, your loss, why complain: I like what I like, u like what u like, end of story, no sequel so stop making it one.

Posted at 1:33AM on Jan 19th 2007 by Pete

15. I'm more pissed about the iPod shuffle being on there. I've had the first and second generation version and love it. I use it all the time. It isn't for everyone, but if you have a use, it is awesome.

Posted at 1:55AM on Jan 19th 2007 by Hoffer

16. This post lost any possible credation after #1. I'm sick of Anti-PS3 news so how bout QJ stops posting it before they get removed from my google news.

Posted at 2:12AM on Jan 19th 2007 by WeApOn

17. I think PS3 should be at the top followed by PS2, both are hyped to the max.
No company can even dream of competing with Sony on hyping (atleast on gaming console).

Posted at 3:20AM on Jan 19th 2007 by hans

18. PS2 was over hyped??? HAHAHA 200,000,000 sold....hahHAAHAHAHA over hyped...yea, right.

You my friend are a retard son of a b*tch. THe PS2 revolutionized console gaming for its generation and the following. This time next year...PS3 will have ran out MS from the console war.

Hideo Kojima even said the 360 isn't powerful enough to run MGS4...watch the REAL TIME DEMO you NUB...go to hell and come back...then return again you low life piece of sh*t.

Posted at 5:46AM on Jan 19th 2007 by sandman

19. What I love about comments here is: $50 for Live is well worth it.. Dont be a cheapass.. etc etc..
You are the same people who dont want to pay $100 more for a console :P. In 4 years time, the X360 is going to be more expensive in that sence...

Posted at 6:41AM on Jan 19th 2007 by GigiAndretti

20. I can think of quite a few products that should be on that list that are not...

Perhaps it just shows the futility of trying to create such a list...

Apple HiFi