Halo 3 news: you want it, we got it at X360F | Add to My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines

"24" Things to know about the PS3... but it's really 23

Just because we know you can't get enough of lists, we're going to give you another one to mull over. You love reading 'em, we love writing 'em. Here's 24 things about the PS3 everyone should, er, "know".

1. Touch sensitive power/eject buttons are a classy touch (as opposed to the "clicky" on/off buttons we're used to).
  2. 15,000 kiosks by the end of November across the US!
  3. Nothing about the unit screams "cheap Blu-ray player!" ...Sturdy, substational... quite simply, super cool.
  4. Not all games will be 1080p, but most will be 720p.
  5. The SIXAXIS controllers does not feel too light -- great for the motion capabilities, and able to withstand some serious grip pressure.
  6. Similarly, the SIXAXIS motion sensing does take some getting used to. Responds better to subtle, gentle motions. No crazy arm waving, please!
  7. The PSP will connect via Wi-Fi to the PS3's hard drive.
  8. The SIXAXIS has about 30 hours of battery life and then a short recharge. However, once the rechargings do squat, it's time to get a new one. Or just keep it plugged in via USB. But... wires are so cumbersome.
  9. No lag on the wireless controller -- thanks, Bluetooth!
  10. Wireless range extends to about 65 feet.
  11. $50 for a new controller, should you want one.
  12. $14.99 adaptor moves all your PS2 and PSX saves onto the PS3... and that's exactly what this blogger plans to do so he can get online with Phantasy Star Universe (although he really wants to see a new turn-based Phantasy Star RPG... come on, Sega! Please?)
  13. Blu-ray disc is slot-loading and "works like a dream". Once the disc was ejected, the game being played kept on going (as if it had a good chunk of data moved onto the hard drive... would at least cut load times quite a bit).
  14. An LED on the PS3 tracks hard drive activity, much like a PC. One step closer.
  15. The first 500,000 PS3's will come bundled with a Blu-ray movie (Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby).
  16. There's still the emergency abort-all hard power-off switch on the back of the PS3, like the PS2.
  17. It's very shiny. Only touch with gloved hands, lest your fingerprints will stain the beauty.
  18. It's... sexy. Unanimous journalist opinion, apparently.
  19. Super quiet! Rating of 22 decibels -- slightly above a human whisper. Sweet.
  20. Plug n' play with a USB keyboard to surf the net.
  21. The power supply (aka "hot brick of doom") is integrated right into the system.
  22. Re-download all your merchandise to someone else's PS3 -- log in with your account info on someone else's console and bam! All your stuff are belong to... you.
  23. First party titles are $59.99... yep.

Wait a minute... that was 23 things! And a couple were throw-aways! Stupid lists... oh well, it's still nice to see a fair list of PS3 goodness. Does anyone feel these "pluses" are actually "minuses"? Are those even actual words? Oh well.

1. I am just dying to give EB my 600 reasons for them to give me my PS3!!!!

Posted at 4:06PM on Oct 27th 2006 by Leo

2. this list is a bit how should i put it ... archaic but yeh the ps3 rocks and thats all we need to know.

Posted at 7:04PM on Oct 27th 2006 by go eat your fries biotch

3. one thing I feel should be added to the list is that blu-ray disc's can advoid light and some deep scratches. I work at bestbuy and I was playing around with a blu-ray disc a customer had returned because he did not like the movie (it was 50 first dates) anyway, my department is responsible for returns and scince as we could not re-sell the movie due to the fact that it was opened I decided to play around with it. I rubbed it across some rough sufaces to see just how much of a beating it can take (one surface I tried had the roughness off sandpaper and another of a vegetable grader) after rubbing it on the surface for over 10 minutes the read surface of the disc was unscaved and still had its shiny new look. This is great knowing that blu-ray games can take a beating although I dont intend to abuse my games but it is a nice little feature.

ps.
a co worker of mine decided to try it for himself and could not scratch the disc so he put a box cutter to it and cut the readable surface so please kids dont try this at home, we put the disc inside a display blu-ray player and the disc was still able to be played without any skipping whatsoever.

Posted at 7:58PM on Oct 27th 2006 by Anthony

4. Questions:

Does it support USB mice?

Can I plug my current non-Sony MP3 player into it and have it recognize it like the 360?

Posted at 8:46AM on Oct 28th 2006 by OMAC

5. Don't forget to pick up a tin of Turtle Wax!

I'm really glad to hear the machine is quiet, too. I'll spend hundreds on my PC to shut it up, and I refuse to by an XBox until the new CPUs come out. Noise sucks.

But, $50 for the controller is pretty lame, especially since Sony didn't bother smoothening out the rough edges, let alone improve the ergonomics. I really like the Dual Shock, and I'm disappointed that the shape of the prongs (under the L2 and R2 buttons) has changed with SIXAXIS. I don't grip the PS2 controller -- I just let it rest loosly on my index fingers. I'm wondering if I'll have the same trouble holding the PS3 controller as I do with the Gamecube (God, I *hate* that controller).

Oh well. There will always be 3rd party alternatives. I have a 3rd party XBox controller on my PC, and I like it better than the Official Microsoft "Best Controller Evar" unit.

Oh yeah, the lack of a PS2 card adapter is nuts. The premium PS3 supports 3 media formats and two previous gernations of hardware compatibility, but not a PS2 card port? D'OH.

Posted at 10:10PM on Oct 28th 2006 by Burnt Meatloaf

6. I think it's too early to draw any conclusion whether or not the PS3 is a cheap Blu-Ray player, until we get our hands on the PS3 to test playing Blu-Ray movies AND there are a number of stand alone Blu-Ray players on the market to test against the PS3.

We already know the Samsung Blu-Ray player, has some surprising video issues, despite it's high end cost. I'm really interested in Sony's implementation of Blu-Ray.

Posted at 1:02AM on Oct 29th 2006 by aoe

7. Haha! Anthony you're such a liar. You can so scratch Blu-Ray discs. I know cuz I've done it. They're just as easy to scratch as CDs and DVDs.

Posted at 2:47AM on Oct 29th 2006 by Tom

8. Tom lol you may have been able to get some good scratches on a blu-ray disc but what about when you played the disc in a blu-ray player? they atleast played fine right?

Posted at 3:12PM on Oct 29th 2006 by Anthony

9. I just hope thier batteries on the SIXAXIS is not the same materials as the one sony is doing on the laptops issue..

It will be sick if it blew off my hand while i'm playing MGS4 :)

Posted at 12:44AM on Oct 30th 2006 by Colossus888

10. Do we know if there will be an adapter to use a PS2 controller on the PS3, wires and all?

Posted at 2:39PM on Oct 30th 2006 by AeroSigma

11. I heard it doubles as a grill too.

Posted at 2:46AM on Nov 9th 2006 by crumb