Aisledash: the new daily resource for getting married right | Add to My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines

Phil Harrison: the PlayStation 3 will kill PC

Oh no he didn't! Yes gamers, he did. In a recent interview, Phil Harrison of Sony stated that PC gamers will find themselves without a viable platform once the PlayStation 3 hits the shelves. When he wasn't defending Sony against "copy-cat" allegations concerning the new controller and Nintendo, he had this to say: "We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other [home] computer functions," said Harrison. "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."

One thing is for sure: with the price of the PS3 being closer to a PC than a home console, it better damn well perform like it. Now whether it's going to be killing off the personal computer as we know it (for gamers, at least) is debatable. The PC has always staved off the threat of videogame consoles, so it's hard to imagine that a system with so much ground to cover could show up and take out a platform that's been historically healthy throughout the years.

Think you'll be getting rid of your PC when the PlayStation 3 comes out in November?

1. No.

Allthough desktop PCs are on the decline laptops will remain.

Sony is gonna have an uphill battle if they are gonna rebrand the Ps3 in peoples minds as something other than a gaming platform.

Posted at 11:43AM on Jun 1st 2006 by Fan

2. With that price sony, maybe you need to thing if you can even kill wii....not pc gaming.

Posted at 12:26PM on Jun 1st 2006 by Maumau

3. Hahahaha HaHahaha....Whoooohooohahahaha...hahawohohahaha

Posted at 12:39PM on Jun 1st 2006 by sputnik

4. Well put Sputnik.
Just when I think the folks at Sony couldn't say anything as stupid as the last comment they say something like this. All I have to say in response is real time weapons change and RRRIIIIDDGGGGE RAAAACCCCEERR!!!!! HA HA

Posted at 12:44PM on Jun 1st 2006 by Eyecandy

5. Yeah, sure. Too bad I already own a pc, several in fact. And upgrading is much easier since I know how to build them, and costs me no where near the amount of a PS3, and games are insanely cheaper, if not free. Oh, and sony, how am I to get my 1.3 terabyte of hard drive space on the PS3? And does this spell the end of Viao? Sorry, I am a huge Playstaion fan, but the statement is simpy ridiculous. Can we connect our iPod to this thing? I doubt it.

Posted at 1:24PM on Jun 1st 2006 by gorgonzollas

6. Well like a large percentage of people, my PC does little more than surf the net and send emails.
The PS3 could quite easily replace my PC.

Posted at 1:34PM on Jun 1st 2006 by Vince

7. Phil; you're an idiot. Krazy Ken makes enough comments like this without you trying to steal his thunder.

Posted at 1:38PM on Jun 1st 2006 by Lokiz0r

8. C'mon guys. I understand you're trying to get more hits to your website, but jeez.

You've taken what he said totally out of context. He said the PS3 doesn't need a PC to be a viable platform like the 360 is all.

Good God.

Posted at 1:51PM on Jun 1st 2006 by yubaduba

9. So I can install the office software I use all the time on their shoddy proprietary Linux? How about the dozens of other software programs I use daily? What about multiple monitor support? Burning CDs or DVDs? Mulitple hard drives? Internet Explorer (unfortunately, many websites are opitmized for it)?

We'll still need a PC Phil. You are starting to sound like Kutaragi.

Posted at 2:03PM on Jun 1st 2006 by SuicideNinja

10. All I do in my PC is surf the net, store pictures and download some music. If I can do this with my PS3 while laying in my bed, on my 50" hdtv and also play games. My PC is as good as dead.

Posted at 2:39PM on Jun 1st 2006 by Pedro

11. to gorgonzollas:
While I don't believe there's anything Official announced there has been ALOT of speculation surrounding iPod support including rumors of the PS3 actually running iTunes (possibly with the ability to transfer songs in both directions). While this could certainly be a good a thing, what about the people who have another type of MP3 player? Would Sony partner up with Apple and say screw you to anyone who bought another brand of player? It's a definate maybe. (for sources on that just google it you can't post links here.)

and to Vince:
Yeah, my PC is definately replacable. PC = iTunes, Web, and... yeah thats about it.

Posted at 2:49PM on Jun 1st 2006 by jfc

12. even the fanboys are not comfy with this ............

unless PS3's Linux can do everything a PC does (and better) there is no way PS3 would kill PC.

I am not buying a 360, but i must say MS's stratage is better: making Xbox360 PC's little bitch.

Posted at 3:08PM on Jun 1st 2006 by OyoyoY123

13. wow this is the dumbest thing i have ever heard... EVAR

Posted at 3:29PM on Jun 1st 2006 by Paul

14. Did you know that the PS3 could destroy Chuck Norris in a schoolyard spork fight? You didn't...until now.
Seriously, I'm getting less and less interested in being a PS3 owner by the day.

Posted at 3:57PM on Jun 1st 2006 by P.J.Brown

15. I think the posting missed the context in which Mr. Harrison was referring to. This is a passage taken from the article about this interview on IGN.com:

Spiegel Online asked Harrison if he was concerned about the PS3 competing with the Microsoft's Xbox 360's ability to seamlessly network with PCs via Live Anywhere Harrison said, "No, this doesn't concern me and I don't think that it concerns the consumer. When you buy a game console, a primarily entertainment device, then you only want that. We believe that the PS3 will be the place where the users will play, watch movies, surf the web, and use other computer entertainment functionality. The PS3 is a computer. We don't need the PC."

From this, I interpretted Mr. Harrison as saying that the PS3 doesn't need to have the kinds of connectivity that Xbox 360 does in terms of an entertainment device. Why would he say we don't need PCs all together, I think it's a little naive to think that he was.

Posted at 4:24PM on Jun 1st 2006 by Jay

16. I'm sure we can count on sony to completely open their platform to third party development, to ensure it's viability as a pc replacement. They've already killed the ipod AND the DS with the psp, and it's open architecture.

Seriously though, I'm stoked about the ps3, but as long as pc's remain 1) upgradable, and 2) easy to develop on, they'll be alive and well... the path to market for consoles will always be prohibitive for some developers, and innovations for better or worse like newer video cards quad sli, dedicated physics cards and so forth will always drive development forward. Consoles on the other hand offer stability and ease of use. They're just different worlds.

Posted at 4:28PM on Jun 1st 2006 by Khidr

17. Thats a bold statement, many household computers are shared with families, I dont see mom and pop surfing or looking at emails through PS3. Also now with Xbox Live Anywhere MS had made PC gaming more powerful, and oh yea, unless WoW goes exclusively to Sony what Mr. Harrison said is lunacy.

Posted at 4:53PM on Jun 1st 2006 by Mike

18. Jay is right. I think this was taken out of context.

However, many of you would be surprised how many websites do not function properly if you don't use Internet Explorer and/or ActiveX. "Just browsing and email" on the web makes me think of useless/frustrating services such as WebTV, PSP browser, or Lindows.

If you think that the PS3 is a viable PC replacement, then take an old junk PC (300mhz - 500mhz is good enough for web browsing), install some distro of Linux on it, and try putting up with it for a month as your desktop. Write a letter or do homework with OpenOffice as opposed to MS Office.

If you are not computer savvy, it won't be acceptable. You'll hate it. Why do you think everyone still uses Windows?

I like Linux (specifically Mandrake and SME Server), but they just aren't acceptable to computer..."noobs" (I hate that word).

Posted at 5:06PM on Jun 1st 2006 by SuicideNinja

19. Sony is quickly running out of gamers to offend.

Posted at 7:51PM on Jun 1st 2006 by User 1138

20. huh!?

say if PS3 really supports Itune and ipod, wouldnt it make sense for PS3 to have a larger HDD??'cause you know, ipod is 30GB and 60GB........

Posted at 9:04PM on Jun 1st 2006 by OyoyoY123