Here comes the blog ... here comes the blog ... the Aisledash wedding blog! | Add to My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines

Sony and the aftermath of E3

It started with the press conferences. From then on, Sony was out to prove something during E3. Just like a confident kid in the locker room, the PlayStation 3 was well equipped. It had hardware, it had capital, and it had a fanbase.

But something was holding it back. As this feature suggests, all the signs could very well point to a lack of a big game. And by that I'm of course speaking about that magical title which should have pulled Sony through in flying colors. Sony had to use E3 to gain momentum, and while they most definitely had an entertaining show in LA, it's arguable about whether or not they could have done some things better.

Ask anyone who they believe "won" E3, and chances are you won't hear about Sony's next-gen console. Again, it wasn't that they necessarily got curb stomped, they just lacked a few key elements that their competition had. So what does this mean? It still doesn't change the fact that Sony needs to deliver in November with some fun, exciting games that will make gamers want to drop $599 on the new machine.

[Thanks Joe]

1. This winter looks to be pretty lame for Sony. No AAA titles that are exclusives. Warhawk looks to be an overhyped mediocre game.

The 360 is going to have a crap load of amazing titles and the PS3 will have EA games only.

Posted at 12:51PM on May 29th 2006 by jon

2. Final Fantasy XIII doesn't count as a big game? I know a lot of people that are more loyal to Square than they are to console companies. As long as Sony has Square, and especially as long as they have Dragon Quest, they have Japan. Winning North America might be a little harder, but Final Fantasy certainly doesn't hurt.

Posted at 1:27PM on May 29th 2006 by greatslack

3. Yes, I am one of the Square-Enix fanboys you were refering too, however, Sony is blowing it big time. I won't buy the PS3 until FFXIII is available. In the meantime I will be playing my Wii.

However, this could be the greatest plan in video game histiry if Sony decides to drop the price for the PS3 a few motnhs before release. OKay, yeah, I'm even laughing at myself so saying such things.

Posted at 1:38PM on May 29th 2006 by Ken

4. I'm sure everyone agrees on who won E3.

1) Nintendo Wii

2) Playstation 3

3) Xbox 360

Posted at 6:50PM on May 29th 2006 by Erick

5. "This winter looks to be pretty lame for Sony."

I hope Heavenly sword and Motorstorm are launch titles. Both are exclusives and they look pretty cool.

Theres a hands-on impression on motorstorm from e3 here:

And there is a hands-on of Heavenly sword here:

If they are launch titles they could make me buy the system at launch.

Posted at 7:50PM on May 29th 2006 by Fan

6. What about online plans??? None revealed so far. Allot of hot air but nothing revealed. The 360 has almost every single title on Xbox Live. Will every Sony title be crippled in that there won't be compeling play Online? Sony didn't show any online play for Gran Turismo HD at E3 even though Sony promised so quite some time ago (nearing 2 years).

PS3 controller design goes unchanged. It is well established that PS3 controller layout is not friendly to FPS games. Thus why it took Halo and the Xbox controller layout to establish that FPS can be done well on a console. Sony passed up the chance to fix the controller and actually made it worse by removing the Rumble feature. Tactile feedback does make a difference in immersion.

The 360 allows for almost any device to be plugged in via USB cable and it is automatically detected and media can then be viewed (MP3 Players, IPODs, Cameras). Will the PS3 have the same functionality? It seems like the reason Sony included a memory card reader is because that's the only way the PS3 will be able to access files. Will it be possible to plug in an MP3 player via USB and play music from it? Is the PS3 Plays for Sure compatible (will it playback WMA files from subscription services such as Yahoo, Napster & URGE like the 360 is capable of doing)?

Sony also didn't reveal whether or not the PS3 will have any Media Center like functionality. According to Sony the PS3 is suppossed to be the ultimate media hub. Will it let you view pictures, play music or videos over the network like the you can with the 360 and if so how will this all work?

Blu-Ray seems to be the only compelling reason to purchase a PS3 at launch. How does the Blu-Ray player quality hold up to Stand alone Blu-Ray players? The PS2 was infamous for it's horrible DVD player functionality. Will the PS3 Blu-Ray player be of a similar inferior quality?

What happened to Killzone? Does Sony's silence on the title mean that the PS3 won't be able to produce KillZone level of graphics afterall?

This years Sony E3 conference has raised more questions than it has answered.

Posted at 3:47AM on May 30th 2006 by jon

7. Ken, do you think 2 million consoles on each territory for 6 months will be enough, especially from the arguably most expected console in gaming history? I think it will still sell out those first 6 million consoles.

Is a price drop viable after that? I think it's very viable. DVD sold very slowly the first 9 months it was out in 1997 (300 thousand) what PS3 should/will sell its first 6 months (6 million perhaps? 3 million if unlucky?), so a price drop on Blu-ray components would seem inminent. I may be wrong, but I hope I'm right.

I'm gonna get all three consoles, but I do hope for Sony's sake and well being that they are able to do a price drop before, in time, or around E3 2007.

And by the way, the article that this story points towards is one of the most biased articles. I don't know if he is a MS fanboy, a PC fanboy, or simply doesn't like Sony, but I couldn't find a PS2 game review in his resume; only PC games and Xbox games. To quote him:

"I'm torn between have the utter, absolute best part on the market, and my need to support underdogs."

Which could be read: "I'm torn between having the most powerful console (Xbox 1), and my need to support unerdogs (Xbox 1)".

Put that, saying as if it was a known fact that the PS2 "underdelivered", that the "best console" was the Xbox (based on what? he meant best technology? marginally), and other inaccuracies in his text (citing HDMI as necessary, when it's not, especially for gaming), and you got a not very balanced journalist at best, and a fanboy at worst.

Posted at 4:01AM on May 30th 2006 by boots

8. "Will every Sony title be crippled in that there won't be compeling play Online?"

" It is well established that PS3 controller layout is not friendly to FPS games."

Personally Im hoping that all Ps3 FPS games will allow for keyboard & mouse controlls. That would make the Ps3 the most FPS friendly console out.

"Will the PS3 have the same functionality? It seems like the reason Sony included a memory card reader is because that's the only way the PS3 will be able to access files."

Check out this link for some shots of the Ps3 OS:

As you can see from the video music video and such are allready there.

"ccording to Sony the PS3 is suppossed to be the ultimate media hub."

I have not read any quotes wre they say its gonna be the ultimate media hub but hey speculation is fun. So since there is gonna be Linux on it my hopes are that people will port MythTV to the Cell. That would indeed rock. Check it out: http://www.mythtv.org//

"Blu-Ray seems to be the only compelling reason to purchase a PS3 at launch."

I disagree. Blu-ray is, to me, the least compelling reason to buy the Ps3. I dont even have a HD-TV yet. But if the Ps3 supports divX, has launch titles like Motorstorm and Heavenly sword, has up and coming titles like Assassins Creed, the new FF and GTA:IV(all exclusives except GTA) its gonna be worth a purchase at launch, both as a games-console and media device.

Posted at 11:19AM on May 30th 2006 by Fan

9. "7. Will every Sony title be crippled in that there won't be compeling play Online?"

No. Did you even think before you wrote that sentence or was it just a incredebly lame attempt at nonsense bashing?"

Well No simply is not a good enough answer especially since so far the PS2 has been very crippled in terms of online play. I want to see real games Online on the PS3 instead of just taking their word for it. It seems like E3 was the perfect opportunity for them to show us what they have.

"I would assume since you can buy any type of 2.5 HDD you want you can also connect any type of USB device you want. The memorycard readers are there for cameras and such. So that answers your next question about picture viewing."

Well again...I'm not going to assume anything with Sony. They have yet to show what media capabilities the PS3 actually has. And Most MP3 players have built in hard drives so you can't just pop out a memory card and insert it into the PS3. So it's important to know is the PS3 going to support plugging in an IPOD or other MP3 player and be able to listen to music directly off the player? Will you be able to use that music in game like you can on the 360? And will the PS3 be Play for Sure compatible? All very valid questions which thus far gaming journalist haven't been asking of Sony.

Posted at 1:28PM on May 30th 2006 by jon

10. "Well No simply is not a good enough answer especially since so far the PS2 has been very crippled in terms of online play."

No is the correct answer to a question like "Will every Sony title be crippled in that there won't be compeling play Online?". Its a hyperbole question with a hyperbole answer.

We wont know much about how the Ps3 network works until launch or maybe TGS. I would specualte, wich is a bad idea, that it is a combination of p2p and traditional servers like the PC. If they did it this way it is possible to keep it free of charge.

Will they have gamercards and neto stuff like that? I dont know, but personally I hope not because its just so lame.

"They have yet to show what media capabilities the PS3 actually has. And Most MP3 players have built in hard drives so you can't just pop out a memory card and insert it into the PS3."

If you had actually bothered to watch the link about the Ps3 OS I provided above you would have heard the presenter say that the Ps3 supports mp3 players via USB.

This is another video of the Ps3 OS that also shows of the browser:

I hope those answers your questions.

Posted at 2:03PM on May 30th 2006 by Fan

11. Ah yes...a few of my questions have indeed been answered in the video link.

PS3 supports Atrac and MP3. No WMA support and it's not Plays For Sure compatible.

Looks like PS3 will have a nifty web browser. It's good to know you'll be able to check your email while waiting for Online gameplay plans to materialize.

Doesn't look like theres any sort of feature to compare with Windows Media Center extender functionality which on the 360 allows you to view photos and play music right off of your computer through the network. Video over the network is also possible on the 360 but requires Windows Media Center. I wander if PS3 will allow for video playback over the network or at least via a USB drive or DVD disc.

But I do believe all of these features are important to know because I believe it leaves Blu-Ray as the only standout feature that isnt done better on the 360. Side by side...price, games currently available and on the near horizon, online capability, media center capability, controller design...it looks like the 360 flat out trumps the PS3 in all of these areas...that is except for the inclusion of Blu-Ray but unfortunately Blu-Ray comes at a great extra cost.

Posted at 10:23PM on May 30th 2006 by jon

12. Agreed, with SONY not developing a LIVE rival the PS3 is sitting dead in the water.

Posted at 10:24PM on May 30th 2006 by PS3

13. "No WMA support and it's not Plays For Sure compatible."

There is also rumoured AAC support since newer Sony products feature it. This page(http://www.atraclife.com/index.php?s=aac) explains the AAC support. I REALLY hope the Ps3 has divX support. Since Sony makes dvd players with divX support I see no reason the Ps3 should not support it.

"Doesn't look like theres any sort of feature to compare with Windows Media Center extender functionality which on the 360 allows you to view photos and play music right off of your computer through the network. Video over the network is also possible on the 360 but requires Windows Media Center."

I really hope network support will be in but nobody knows until they release the info. There is no reason for it not to be in. I would assume, wich is again a bad idea, that since it is supposed to support a Linux desktop enviroment network support would be in. Truth is nobody knows until they release the info. Its not out yet.

"PS3 can display photos and slideshows but no telling if that will require the memory card reader or if you can just plug in a USB camera and view photos directly.

Can't tell if the PS3 will allow for playback of music in games or whether if selecting music for playback in game will be done like last gen consoles where developers have to program such funcionality into each game or if it will be a seperate part of the OS that is controlled independently of the game as the 360 handles it."

All I can say to this is that nobody, outside of Sony and friends, know yet. The console is not out yet. Wait until they launch it.

"But I do believe all of these features are important to know because I believe it leaves Blu-Ray as the only standout feature that isnt done better on the 360."

How do you know its done better on the 360? Its argumentation like this that makes it useless to discuss with you. Have you tested the Ps3? Have you even seen a Ps3?

Further, I belive there are lots of features that makes the Ps3, IMHO, stand out. If you compare the premium 360 package with the premium Ps3 you get things like 3x the HDD space, Wi-Fi, HDMI, 1080p, memory card readers, no tray for the cd/dvd/blu-ray(just pop it in) and Cell on the hardware side. And you get homebrew, Linux, a browser and rumoured free online on the software side.

Clearly you want nothing more than to bash. Your rhetoric is so negative and full of assumptions.

"Agreed, with SONY not developing a LIVE rival the PS3 is sitting dead in the water."

Personally all I care about is free online play. If the Ps3 does not feature free online play, for all other games than MMOs, I will stick to online gaming on the PC. I refuse to pay for a service that should be free.

Posted at 11:42PM on May 30th 2006 by Fan

14. "Well since WMA is a proprietary Microsoft technology and Plays For Sure is a Microsoft certification im sure that Microsoft would be wise to monopolise them."

Yes indeed, but unlike Apple or Sonys proprietary file formats...Microsoft freely licenses the format to everyone and that is why all music hardware vendors and software vendors support it (except for Apple). So theres no good excuse for Sony not to support WMA. Heck even my cheap DVD player supports WMA.

For a system that was supposed to launch in April...Sony shure is short on details. It's less than six months to launch. People are already placing pre-orders. We don't know but we should know. Most people also don't realize the PS3's deficiencies when compared to the competition ...maybe this is why Sony is remaining quiet on so Many details.

I've had my 360 since launch and have downloaded every demo and video available. Occasionally I will go and delete some of the old stuff. But I can tell you that 20 Gigs has been more than enough. WIFI is great but not the best for playing online. You wouldn't think there would be extra lag...but any hardcore online gamer knows that Wifi does introduce very noticeable lag at times.

Memory card reader is a nice feature but unneccessary with the 360 as you can plug in just about any device via USB (MP3 players & digital cameras). Homebrew Linux??? PS2 has had homebrew Linux...what good has it done for anyone? Linux may be the one avenue that folks will have to foil online gaming with hacks and cheats. Without a unified online network Sony will be hard pressed to police such actions. And 1080p...wow where do I begin with 1080p...25% of US homes have HDTVs...I'm guessing that not even a fraction of a percent of that 25 percent has HDTV's that can accept a 1080p signal. I'll just refer you to this article...don't worry it's a good read and anyone that is purchasing a PS3 should read it:

The Facts and Fictions of 1080p

Posted at 12:42AM on May 31st 2006 by jon

15. Hi Jon

Again I find it amusing that you need to bring everything down by beeing so negative. Instead of accepting that these features are in you go through them and try to do a negative spin on them. Are you hired by Microsofts marketing team?

Anyway, im not ganna waste my time discussing this topic with you. Its useless because you will never change your mind. You asked for what other features that the Ps3 had, I gave you those that are known, and you just started complaining about something thats not even out lol.

Oh and between you and me its not homebrew linux its homebrew and linux, they are two sepparate things. I know those are hard technical thingamawords so I will not go into explaining those features to you. I mean they could be brought to you by naked women, covered in gold, work perfectly and you would still bitch and moan for no reason.

Let me sum it up for you. You pass judgement on a console, and its features, that is not out yet. You do understand that this is stupid? If youre so happy with your 360 stick with it and be happy. Im sure its a great console and I may breakdown and buy one when GOW is out.

Have a nice day =)

Posted at 9:26AM on May 31st 2006 by Fan

16. Uh jon, that article is flawed. There *are* 1080p TVs made by Sony. Have you ever been to a Sony Shop? By the looks of it, you haven't, but I have. As I said, there *are* 1080p TVs over there, and they are expensive.

Posted at 12:16PM on May 31st 2006 by boots

17. These ones are not that expensive:

1080p is a tech on its way up. Its expensive because its new, prices will drop.

Posted at 1:09PM on May 31st 2006 by Fan

18. When you make a good argument it turns to being so negative and "you must be hired by Microsoft". OPEN YOUR EYES!! Not everything Sony throws out there is a good product. Also funny how fanboys throw all these supposed "specs" out and when someone throws some back you get..."consoles not out yet"..."wait till launch". Well...Sony wants you to wait...and wait for a console that has a 2 yr+ added development time and is a rushed product.

Posted at 2:34PM on May 31st 2006 by Cage

19. Yes... Open my eyes its a conspiracy. OMG TEH TINY JAPANESE PPLE AER STEELING MY SLIPPERS!

I saw no good arguments, just whining and bitching. If you want to use arguments about features wich nobody has any information its useless to discuss. Jon was not curious to know anything about the Ps3. He just wants to piss all over it, kinda like you Cage.

Im not a fanboy I just cite the facts and give some educated guesses. I never said this and that will be better or what owns and whatnot. I simply cite the information thats out. If you want to know every single minute feature of the Ps3 you have to wait until they release the information or it launches, simple. So comparing the different consoles is usesless.

Also I never ever said everything Sony throws out there is a good product. Please do not put words in my mouth.

Posted at 2:51PM on May 31st 2006 by Fan

20. "...and wait for a console that has a 2 yr+ added development time and is a rushed product."

How can it be "rushed" if it has a 2 yr+ added development time? Next time you try to make an argument, use logic.

Anyway, this critic comes from a fan of a console that was developed in a timespan smaller than any other console has had, which is also hypocritical. Next time, try not coming off as a hypocrite.

Posted at 3:12PM on May 31st 2006 by boots