Your planet is calling! Answer it at GreenDaily

PES 2008 features serious lag on PS3

"Konami Digital Entertainment has uncovered issues which can affect the online gameplay quality of PES 2008 on PLAYSTATION 3. We are working at full strength to find a solution as quickly as possible. We sincerely apologise for this inconvenience. Further announcements will be made as soon as we have additional details."

The PS3 version of Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 has been giving a lot of soccer fans some serious distress. The online mode of PES is seemingly broken, according to various reports to Pro-G. "PS3 PES 2008 is practically unplayable online, with the ball pinging about uncontrollably and players randomly disappearing and reappearing." It notes that the PS3 version also suffers from a poor framerate, something not found in the Xbox 360 version.

Certainly, Konami is trying to fix these problems. However, it's disappointing to see yet another game get such poor treatment on Sony's machine.

21. And hey, buy FIFA....PES sucks balls. Not a joke, I am dead serious...people try to hype this game up, and that hype is just shot down....FIFA for the win.

Posted at 2:12PM on Oct 25th 2007 by SirBlazeAlot

22. I've seen this argument a few times and wonder why is it that developers are "lazy"? Isn't it more likely that it is just a combination of a learning curve and internal asset allocation? If you already know how to code for a PC and if, as suggested, an Xbox is really just a PC anyway, how many assets (people and man hours) do you tie up learning a new system versus spending those assets on (Xbox) games that can get out faster and earning the company revenue?

I want to see the PS3 succeed but I will compliment MS on this front. From a business perspective they were more developer friendly this time around by giving them a system that leveraged their already in place business assets. Developers are still businesses after all, I wonder if sometimes we forget this when claiming laziness on their part. From a gamer perspective that might, unfortunately, give us just "more of the same" in terms of games, but I can understand it from a 'bottom line' perspective.

Posted at 2:14PM on Oct 25th 2007 by Rwing90

23. Let's face it, there's only two ways developers will drop this 360 porting technique, which is more cost-effective and easier for them to do.

First is if Sony finds some way to either make porting work easier and less expensive, while maintaining a high quality in the final result; or better yet release developer tools that PC/360 coders have an easier time working with.

Second (more likely) is if users don't buy games that are buggy or are straight quick and dirty ports. That is what forced EA to drop the reduce framerates for PS3 games, and will also force developers to ensure the games they do port are high quality.

Posted at 2:15PM on Oct 25th 2007 by russ99

24. I dont think the PS3 version is ported.

Posted at 2:57PM on Oct 25th 2007 by MrH

25. What a shock

Posted at 2:58PM on Oct 25th 2007 by Ghaleon

26. @7 FAIL

I'll still be getting Pro Evo 2008 tomorrow (and my spiffy new PS3 as well), hopefully Konami will get a patch out soon so that I can kick ass WORLDWIDE!!

Posted at 3:32PM on Oct 25th 2007 by c0n0r

27. I really don't see how people like PES better Fifa. It feels like such an arcade kids game. *shrug* I've always give the newest PES a try every time to see if I will like it, and I'm bored of it within minutes.

Posted at 4:05PM on Oct 25th 2007 by rawd

28. It's almost funny how much trouble Japanese developers are having with a homegrown console. Capcom and Konami both are struggling with the PS3 like never before. I guess that's what happens when you throw your hat in the Microsoft ring..Sony pays more attention to its first-party dev teams and they make much better games as a result.

Sony is basically being Nintendo at this point, and by that I mean making all the best games for their console in house. I can't blame them, seeing how badly the third parties are doing and how reluctant they are to join the party. Next year, when MGS4 and FFXIII drop, we'll see Konami and Capcom wake up to the future.

Posted at 4:21PM on Oct 25th 2007 by Popfrogs

29. Porting from the 360 to the PS3 is never going to be trivial considering how the 360 relies on DirectX and how DirectX is anything but portable

Posted at 5:48PM on Oct 25th 2007 by Zoesch

30. @29: You make a good point. Microsoft, being Microsoft, has gone 100% proprietary with their console from every possible angle. Custom controller ports, custom development kit (directx), custom wireless, you name it.

Sony, on the other hand, has shocked me by going 100% open with the PS3. Standard bluetooth, standard wifi, standard USB ports, memory card reader, system libraries using OpenGL and other open source technologies (check the details under System on the PS3). All this means it can run Linux, but more than that, it means that devs working from a PS3 source can easily port to other platforms. OpenGL to DirectX isn't nearly as hard as DirectX to OpenGL.

Posted at 5:55PM on Oct 25th 2007 by Popfrogs

31. Seabass must be pondering his fate with Konami. If I were him I'd have cleared my desk, gone home and typed up my resignation by now.

Posted at 6:13PM on Oct 25th 2007 by Ian

32. If I were Konami I'd be looking at Seabass and offering up the ever popular choice "Pick a window!".

Posted at 6:22PM on Oct 25th 2007 by Ian

33. I think it is harsh to say Konami are lazy...in interviews Seabass have actually been fairly supportive and receptive to new challeges. In fact surely the hard work of games design should be in the games themselves and not the code beneath them unless one is doing something really ambitious with AI or something similar. It is expensive to adapt and resources and experience take time to accumulate. PS3 is a complex machine...but I do feel that teething troubles will be ironed out in time as well as reap new benefits for the console. Microsoft has the advantage of (for all intents and purposes) owning the PC market with the leading operating systems and tools. I think it is more important for sony to establish themselves as a strong software brand as that alone will inspire consumer confidence...give it a year I think it will be a different market.
Sony is already working on increasing support. I still think its a shame that they did not open up the ram on the machine... I think that might turn out to be one of the largest issues.

Posted at 8:45PM on Oct 25th 2007 by Starpaws

34. i dont have time for this game, my friends and i are training on resistance and warhawk every chance we get, its great to not have 50+ games and suck at all of them, i love having 2 high quality well made games i can practice on more and more, but too bad guitar hero 3 is coming out in a month (im in australia) it'll completely throw off my resistance and warhawk skill. i havent played motorstorm in a while, i think it's time for an online racing spree!!!!

Posted at 10:53PM on Oct 25th 2007 by animekid3515

35. It's getting harder and harder to defend this machine. Very disappointing.

Posted at 1:20AM on Oct 26th 2007 by ill trooper

36. At least Konami have admitted the problem and are prepared to do something about it and quickly. I wish I could say the same for EA and their "skate". This game is frustrating to play off-line and impossible to play on-line.

Posted at 4:11AM on Oct 26th 2007 by reakt

37. Strange IGN glossed over the frame rate issue when they are a sponser in the game. The in game cutsecens are bad enough online is just unplayable. I have had my copy since tuesday night and I can say online is far better now!!!!

Very dissapointed

Posted at 4:38AM on Oct 26th 2007 by billster

38. we can't blame the developer, they are just doing a job. We can say that 360 is like a PC, and PS3 is not a PC, but we have to accept the fact that 360 is alot easier and faster to develop, and PS3 is slower and harder. Until Sony can figure out a way to help developer to make PS3 game easier, this will continue.

Whenever Sony has an exclusive title, they usually run fine and look great, but if the title is cross-platform, 360 is far better in everyway. PES2008 is one of many examples.

I am just getting very tired of all of half doodoo game.

All in all, I think the main problem is, they want to release all version of the game at the same time if possible, and 360 version always beat them to it, therefore, they really have no other way but to release a game that has issue.

Posted at 12:10PM on Oct 26th 2007 by Plat

39. iv just bought pes 2009 on ps3 i put reg code in but were do i get a password i made 1 up n it keeps saying error accured please help

Posted at 2:59PM on Oct 26th 2007 by dan in hull