GreenDaily: Because nature can't wait until tomorrow.

Ratchet and Clank comes bundled with annoying (but fixable) glitch

Some eager Ratchet and Clank fans were in for a surprise when they picked up their copies from their outlet of preference yesterday. It seems that a glitch is affecting the setup process of the game on some machines which makes the hard drive appear full. The game copies some files over to the hard drive before it starts but if it thinks the hard disc is full then it will refuse to boot. The glitch seems to happen randomly but is easily fixed.

If this happens to you then you will simply need to add or remove around 500megs worth of content. Once that's done the game should load fine. Still, it's a bit of an inconvenience and we expect there will be a good number of gamers who perhaps don't venture online for gaming news and will assume that their copy of the game is bust. Hopefully the number of people affected will be nice and low. If you come across this glitch then let us know.

1. This actually isn't a big deal for me. If I get the glitch I will start the game. Restart. And delete R&C demo.

I'll be picking this one up tomorrow.

Posted at 7:37PM on Oct 24th 2007 by Andy

2. yeah its not a big deal.....i just hope i get to see this on a 1080 tv :) soon

Posted at 7:42PM on Oct 24th 2007 by Nazim

3. Didn't glitch on me, hurray!

Posted at 7:44PM on Oct 24th 2007 by Spector

4. @Spector......enjoy the beauty and gameplay!

Posted at 7:49PM on Oct 24th 2007 by Nazim

5. don't they test games for things like this anymore? Especially a big title like this for sony. Still not to big of a deal but i can still see some kid out there who doesn't know about this problem and have their moms return them not knowing that there really isn't anything wrong with the game which really annoys me since it effects my best buy bonus!

Posted at 7:53PM on Oct 24th 2007 by Cory

6. @Cory: yeah, they are going to start up a PS3, install it, copy some files to it, install it again, copy more files, install it again... so on and so on...

This only happens for a certain size of available free space. Someone probably got a bit shift in the wrong spot and it happens when your drive space is at an interval of 640MB or something like that. Oh no!

Posted at 7:57PM on Oct 24th 2007 by Andir3.0

7. @6 I said it wasn't a big deal but it still wont change the fact that those kids and moms that don't know what the problem is will return/exchange the game! I don't make alot as it is! lol Every penny counts! :)

Posted at 8:21PM on Oct 24th 2007 by Cory

8. It didn't glitch when I installed, but it did take more than a minute or two. For a sec i got worried but it started up fine and now I'm enjoying it very much. :)

Posted at 8:50PM on Oct 24th 2007 by nihillasohen

9. Yeah, this is a big deal. What is this a PC game(ver.1.0)?
This is a very big title, MS and Nintendo arent screwing up like this. This is a console, the game should run perfect right out of the bag. I wanted this game alot but now I'm nervous about buying it.

Posted at 9:03PM on Oct 24th 2007 by Ted

10. @Cory: Oh noes! I can just imagine the utter chaos this will bring to those who work for Cockbust- erm, I mean Blockbuster - I used to work there and those damn soccer moms and ignorant children will be up in arms over wanting credits! =S And if you don't think that will affect bonuses... =/ Let me put it this way, bonuses at BlockB are basically not getting yelled at by the stupid DLs for at least one day. The DLs are going to go on a firing spree over this one! =S

Posted at 9:09PM on Oct 24th 2007 by Consolcwby

11. I got the game today and played with it a few minutes ago, did not experience this "glitch".

Posted at 9:29PM on Oct 24th 2007 by _spike

12. Don't be nervous about buying this game. The great gameplay and story are well worth a little glitch that you may or may not get when installing. I'm sure they will fix it in a firmware upgrade, which is better than a big title game having something like....umm...I don't....a scratch. *cough*Halo*cough*

Posted at 9:40PM on Oct 24th 2007 by nihillasohen

13. My installation process went smoothly on both my master account and my girlfriends sub-account. We've been enjoying the game all day and I have not noticed any problems like this with the game or the firmware update.

Posted at 10:22PM on Oct 24th 2007 by iRoy

14. Is the glitch restricted to certain copies of the game or universal?

Posted at 10:27PM on Oct 24th 2007 by prateeko

15. Loaded up just fine. Seemed to take longer than 2 minutes, but still no problems. Love this game. Played for 4 hours straight earlier.

Posted at 11:27PM on Oct 24th 2007 by Dru

16. I don't think that this glitch is going to accept many people. My guess is this only will have a slight chance of affecting a few people. My guess is like 90% of the people will run into no problem. BTW this is a really great game!!! Great storyline and game play, I can't wait to play it some more, its a must buy for ps3!!!

Posted at 11:36PM on Oct 24th 2007 by AC2020x

17. Ted what are you on about all Wii and MS games are perfect out of the bag....hmm no there not. Halo had big scratches because of the case, Bioshock you needed a 16:9 TV otherwise you could view the game properly. They are very big games, I would call Ratchet and Clank and very very big game, its big but not console selling like something like MSG

Posted at 12:17AM on Oct 25th 2007 by Normo

18. Got the game today and had no glitch. Same thing with both of my friends. They got NO glitch as well.

Posted at 12:31AM on Oct 25th 2007 by Hovan

19. From what other gaming sites are saying, it seems as if the people who downloaded the Ratchet & Clank demo are the ones who most experienced the glitch. I got it, myself.

Posted at 12:46AM on Oct 25th 2007 by bmw908

20. I didn't experience THIS glitch, but just now when I tried returning to my ship after the battle arena, the game froze with what looked to be some coding. I'm a bit worried that my game might have been printed wrong and I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem.

Posted at 1:44AM on Oct 25th 2007 by Bunny--man