What's right with this picture? Jim Cramer on BloggingStocks | Add to My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines

Firmware version 1.81 ready for release tomorrow

Despite PlayStation.Blog having only been live for three days, we at PS3 Fanboy are pleased to see such frequent and interesting updates. Through posts that include interesting revelations and thought provoking industry pieces, the blog is clearly a means for Sony to communicate directly with their audience. An excellent example of this is the latest post, in which we are alerted to the arrival of a new firmware upgrade, which will appear tomorrow.

Unless you're having problems with the RGB Full feature that was added as part of firmware version 1.80, however, I wouldn't get too excited. The update is simply a fix for people who found that the RGB Full option in the setup section of the XMB was slipping from "full" to "limited" whenever they reset the system. If that includes you, then rejoice. If not, then just ignore this post and wait a wee while for the next monthly firmware update.

1. I enjoy the blog myself except for 1 thing. Assholes sign up for an account on a blog for a company they despise just to talk shit. Some people have no life except to crap on others. It's sad.

Posted at 9:16PM on Jun 14th 2007 by Matt B

2. Is this a forced update? I dont want to update just for this.

Posted at 9:28PM on Jun 14th 2007 by humpty

3. humpty why would you not want to update? Updates are good Keep'em coming Sony! And yes you have to update. If you want to connect to the PSN.

Posted at 10:28PM on Jun 14th 2007 by Aaron

4. @1 - Welcome to the internet. Major Nelson gets the EXACT same thing.

@4 - I don't care to download the update if it isn't forced either. These PS3 updates take forever and the fix doesn't impact me.

Posted at 10:51PM on Jun 14th 2007 by Hoffer

5. Cool! I was wondering when Sony would address this issue. I've noticed the change from full to limited after I exit Blu-ray movies. I suppose I'll be updating tomorrow. Thank you Sony (and PS3 Fanboy for reporting on this).

Posted at 11:13PM on Jun 14th 2007 by Gunegune

6. Big whoop, where's 2.0 Sony? I want to be able to access the XMB anytime I want dammit. I also want the ps3 make the Ninja Gaiden Sigma a little easier on the very hard mode...that s**ts insane!

Posted at 11:21PM on Jun 14th 2007 by buubuubibuu

7. Anyone notice that this setting fixes the "washed out" effect that X-Cox fanboys complain about (especially with PORTS)

Posted at 11:42PM on Jun 14th 2007 by ME

8. actually its up now .. they always do 12am eastren.

Posted at 12:35AM on Jun 15th 2007 by WhackMushroom

9. I wonder if this will fix the connection problems I've had since going to 1.8. I sure hope it will, even if it isn't specifically mentioned.

Posted at 12:53AM on Jun 15th 2007 by mccomber

10. @ME: Yeah, I did notice that. ;)

Posted at 6:15AM on Jun 15th 2007 by Andir3.0

11. Rob:
There is nothing to stop you from updating your PS3 only twice a year, if that is what you want.

I for one is happy as can be about this update. On my 40" 1080p Samsung the full rgb mode really improved my black levels and made overall colors better (after proper adjustments using DVE) but unfortunately it dropped out whenever i restarted or left a dvd/blu-ray.

Yay for frequent updates!

Posted at 7:58AM on Jun 15th 2007 by jimmithmail

12. Rob: you're just complaining for the sake of complaining aren't you? It's not that much of a trial to do the update (unless you're a retard) and you get some cool new features.

"Why do I have to plug the controller back in? Why do I have to accept the agreement every time? Why does it have to go through an installation process????"

Posted at 8:00AM on Jun 15th 2007 by ck

13. @9 Throw your crappy Linksys router in the bin, and buy something decent...

Posted at 9:15AM on Jun 15th 2007 by Mak

14. I wonder if this fixes the problem with people who have to force the upscalling on on PS2 games.

i.e I was greeted with a black screen when I set the upscalling to full, but the sound still worked. so I chose the yes button, or accept on the left, and started a game to have the upscalling work properly.

after updating it was set to regular upscalling, but after changing it to off, i could no longer set it to normal.

That being said its not that tricky, but I did have to google it to find out if I was alone.

Posted at 9:20AM on Jun 15th 2007 by Draco

15. @9,15.. i've been having connection problems too.. where, before there were none.. so, its not my router.

Posted at 9:28AM on Jun 15th 2007 by humpty

16. I welcome the 1.81 update. Sure, it's a bugfix release and I'm sure they have to push those same changes into the upcoming 2.0 firmware. I had the RGB full problem where it uses the full mode via HDMI whenever it feels like it instead of all the time.

You guys aren't seeing the full picture with the updates. Each firmware release adds features while shrinking the PS3 OS's memory footprint. I don't remember the numbers but they've made at least a 10% reduction since launch, which frees up more resources for developers to use in games. Eventually they hope to get it down as small as the X360's firmware which is measly in comparison.

Posted at 9:45AM on Jun 15th 2007 by Popfrogs

17. @12 Are you being sarcastic? Monthly updates are like "Oh sh*t, we forgot to add that feature or fix this problem. That's OK, we'll just do another update." Get it right the first time, and 2 updates a year should be enough.

Your way if there is a problem or something that could be fixed you are willing to wait 6 months to get it. our way is if there is a small problem or a better feature we only have to wait a month instead of sony adding new things every month and dumping it all into a 6 month update. look at it logically. get it quicker is better.

Posted at 10:49AM on Jun 15th 2007 by steve

18. listen, updates are always welcome, they fix issues add fuctionality, improve your console experience overall. whats the problem?

Posted at 11:07AM on Jun 15th 2007 by pete

19. "@9 Throw your crappy Linksys router in the bin, and buy something decent..."

Thanks for the advice. Too bad I'm not using a crappy Linksys router. What would you recommend? I wasn't having problems before the 1.8 update, so I'm pretty sure that's the cause... but again, great troubleshooting buddy.

And who really cares how often they update this thing? I'm glad that I can get frequent, free updates that fix problems and add features. I don't get this backlash against updating the system. Yeah, it would be great if it were 100% right off the bat, but it sure beats the alternative...

Posted at 12:18PM on Jun 15th 2007 by mccomber

20. "Why do you need to even ask? Common sense provides the answers to all your questions. Maybe you should just stick with the Xbox if it's too hard."
You completely missed his point. He is not saying that updating the ps3 is hard, just very inconvenient and he's right.
Look at the way the wii and 360 handle updates. All you have to do is select yes and wait 3 or 4 seconds for it to install.

Andir3.0 & ME
You mean the washed out effect that sony fanboys have been swearing is just the PS3s more realistic lighting. Yes I did notice that this setting fixes that problem.

Posted at 1:47PM on Jun 15th 2007 by Bangbang...