Aisledash: the new daily resource for getting married right | Add to My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines

Firmware 1.80 up for downloads, our opinions also available

The hotly anticipated system update has gone live as of exactly midnight EST. Without a minute to spare, we downloaded the new update and test-drove the two most important features: 1080p DVD upscaling and 1080p PS2 game upscaling. What do we think?

We have to admit, we're disappointed by the DVD playback. We tested a couple of DVDs from the amazingly hilarious show Scrubs. The difference between the original 480p image and the upscaled one is minimal at best. Perhaps it was the show itself, but the only added factor by jumping the resolution up was a slight decrease in grainy faces in the foreground. No beats of sweat clearly visible, no defined facial lines beyond what the original DVDs had displayed. This may be due to the fact that the TV we used only could get 720p/1080i -- so that may have been a reason.

On the software side, we booted up a number of games: Rogue Galaxy, Phantasy Star Universe, and Dawn of Mana. Yes, we love RPGs. The difference was surprisingly substantial. In the case of Rogue Galaxy, where jaggies were minimal to begin with, the difference got rid of the remaining backwards compatibility errors. However, if the upscaling is set to "full screen" and the smoother is turned "on" then you might stare at something that's a lot more blurry than you're used to. Not jaggy -- blurry. PSU suffered horribly with jaggies and the upscaler worked well. It's not perfect, but it's acceptable. With the smoother turned on, the clothing and actions of characters just seem ... smoother. How about that? Dawn of Mana simply got a smooth boost, since it looked mostly fine anyway.

Overall, we greatly approve of the PS2 upscaling capabilities. PS One titles ... well ... there's not much to upscale anyway, but they did what they could. Nothing worth mentioning, but it's a nice touch to make the games looks less dated. Parasite Eve 2 is actually fairly good looking upscaled. Almost an early PS2 game. We have no true opinion on the DVD upscaling since we don't have a 1080p HDTV, but what we were able to view wasn't much different. How about you guys? What are your thoughts?

21. @19

Go update Windows Media Player to version 11. From there you can go to settings and turn on Media Share. If you have your PS3 on, and are updated to 1.8. You'll likely see an "unknown device" pop up on a list of devices to share media to. Compare the MAC address if you see more than one device, then you can authorize the PS3. Make sure to apply the settings. I restarted my PS3, and ta-dah. Full access to my library of music and media.

Posted at 3:41AM on May 24th 2007 by Taylor B

22. @20
Media player? I have a Mac. Is that a some standard protocol used or proprietary Media player - specific?

Posted at 3:45AM on May 24th 2007 by Kramer

23. video of PS3 media server in action ===>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP1gGnsSVSE

Posted at 3:54AM on May 24th 2007 by lorderk

24. @21

If you're using a Mac, then I would recommend TwonkyVision. You can try the trial for 30 days and see if it works. Full version is 40 USD. For reference to other users, it works for Windows XP, Mac and Linux.

Posted at 3:58AM on May 24th 2007 by Taylor B

25. Youtube video of FW 1.80 and DLNA Using Twonkyvision..

I have some media in formats not supported by the PS3. Can't decide if I want to rerip or use VLC to transcode it.. Either way, that's a job for later..

Hop you like the vid... Notice the ABC navigation on the audio, something WMP11 doesn't support.... The navigation structure is totally configurable on Twonkyvision, which is nice if you have lots of music...

Posted at 3:58AM on May 24th 2007 by Mak

26. So are there any screenshots of that PS2 upscaling? I’d like to see for myself how it looks exactly, but I don’t have an HDTV.

~Grauw

Posted at 4:14AM on May 24th 2007 by Laurens Holst

27. Okay, well, it's a little odd.

First of all, you have to change the upscaling mode to full screen or normal based upon whether you're going to use widescreen mode in the game. And to do so, you must exit the game.

Second of all, I'm play GoW2, and if I set the game to 480p, the upscaling turns off (on my 1080i/720p TV) and the TV goes back to 480p from 1080i. Does this happen to people with 1080p TVs? It's not really the end of the world, since turning the 480p mode back off looks great, no noticeable interlacing artifacts.

I have to say, I think I find the smoothing mode a might blurry. I'll try with it off too.

I didn't try and DVD upscaling, since I'm so addicted to BluRay, any DVD looks like poop to me, no matter what the upscaling.

24HZ output is a great thing. Awesome.

Kudos to Sony for such a powerful update. This thing keeps getting better and better.

What the heck is "full-range" HDMI output or super-white component output?

I just turned on full-range HDMI, and didn't notice any difference.

Posted at 4:23AM on May 24th 2007 by why not the LS2/LS7?

28. The most important parts of the update for me (being an SD user at present) were the media streaming (which I'll set up later today) and the remote play via internet.

Notice how it says that the PSP (which needs to be running 3.50; arrives by end of May apparently) has to be signed into the PSN with the same username.

That surely means that the PSP is going to receive full PSN access, doesn't it? Access your friends, chat etc. on the move? Surely!!??

Posted at 5:09AM on May 24th 2007 by DolphGB

29. Hands down PS3 is the new Premier center piece of my home theater!

Posted at 5:31AM on May 24th 2007 by Thomas

30. Can I use the streaming with iTunes?? I dont want to run WMP11.

Posted at 6:03AM on May 24th 2007 by Davixu

31. Ok Guys, advice needed. ( mine is a Eu PS3 with 100% software BC which is actually very good considering )

I have a recently bought SAMSUNG 32" LCD TV, ok, its only 720p/1080i but good enough. My PS3 is connected via HDMI cable and yes, all looks rather good.

Have installed 1.80 and have via SETUP / GAME selected my Upscaling options. I notice when upscaling the comment that if the setting isn't allowed, the screen will go blank temporarily, and sadly it does when i press X. Still, once the screen returns it allows you to accept the settings.

Firing up FFXII i only notice one thing, the Screen is now FULL screen and not 85% ( or whatever) as before. Graphics look identical to before though and smoothing doesn't make a lot of difference really. So, on my LCD, it doesn't appear to work. Any advice ( apart from get a full 1080p set) I though this update would work on a uptodate 720p/1080i LCD. when pressing the PS button on my controller, the menu options are large so i guess this is being downscaled as before.

DVD upscaling, once the options were set appears to work well with noticable picture improvement when i fired up 'sean of the dead', I'm impressed and it's breathed life into my DVD's

If PS2 upscaling doesn't work on my three month old LCD i shall be were dissappointed so any ideas?

Help

Neil

Posted at 6:10AM on May 24th 2007 by Neil

32. When I select upscale to normal the screen is too small and when I select full screen the screen is too big in PS2 games. Im using 720p and my tv only supports 720p and 1080i. What im doing wrong?

Posted at 6:53AM on May 24th 2007 by riksu

33. Your TV was probably already doing upscaling if you're feeding a 480p signal, so you won't see much of a difference. Having it on the PS3 as well lets you see if you have a better upscaler in your TV or PS3.

Upscaling doesn't add detail (like seeing beads of sweat), it will only make things look smoother by using half-tones to avoid jagged edges, so unless you have a HDTV where you can turn it's internal upscaler off you're only comparing upscalers in the two devices.

Posted at 7:16AM on May 24th 2007 by Al Sutton

34. Problems:

When you do select GAME upscaling, the blurb tells you that if the screen goes blank, the setting you've asked for didn't work, now, does anyone know what check is made at this point as my SAMSUNG 32" LCD (recent model, still selling in UK shops ) screen does indeed blank.

This TV is a 720p 1080i screen. I'm wondering if i have to change the TV's settings somewhere to allow this to work.

DOES anyone know?

Cheers guys
Neil

Posted at 7:23AM on May 24th 2007 by Neil

35. @ Al Sutton,

Your explaination sounds feasible apart from the fact that I only see the LARGE menu when i press the PS button during PS2 play. My friend's menu changed to SMALL on his cheapo LCD machine. Plus of course the blanking of the screen when i selected Upscaling which signifies that there was a problem.

Cheers.

Posted at 8:00AM on May 24th 2007 by Neil

36. I dont have hi-speed at home to d/l straight to the PS3, so I always get it at work from the web. The PSN website still only has 1.7 posted for download...

Posted at 8:44AM on May 24th 2007 by DanMacMan

37. Just played the original Killzone, with the game settings upscaled to full screen and smoothing, look much better than before with no noticeable problems

Posted at 8:46AM on May 24th 2007 by gameforall

38. DVD upscaling totally looks awesome, same with PS2 games! I'm very excited about this updated, not disappointed at all like the blogger. I tried a few DVDs, one of them that I was considered re-purchasing on Blu-ray is A Scanner Darkly. But not anymore, the DVD now looks fantastic.

Posted at 9:10AM on May 24th 2007 by blindrocket

39. I have a HDTV Samsung that supports 1080p. I will update my PS3 tonight and will pop in tekken 5 or something like that that is really colouring and I will tell you all what I think. Hopefully it will be worth it.

Posted at 9:46AM on May 24th 2007 by Surenix

40. ok .. have a mac .. did twonkymedia .. i can see the folders for my music & videos but so far i cannot see my music files themselves .. i guess it takes a while .. but pardon the ignorance .. ps3 does not do dvix or xvid right?

Posted at 10:08AM on May 24th 2007 by WhackMushroom