Here comes the blog ... here comes the blog ... the Aisledash wedding blog! | Add to My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines

Firmware 1.80 to include 1080p upscaling for games and movies

Sony has officially unveiled plans for PS3 firmware 1.80. This update looks to be the most significant yet. Here's a breakdown of what to expect:
  • Full 1080p upscaling for DVDs, PS2 and PS1 games. With upscaling, there's no need to throw away your old DVDs and PlayStation 2 games. The content will be converted to resolutions as high as 1080p, and will breathe new visual life into your old discs. DVD movies can only be upconverted using an HDMI connection.
  • PSP Remote Play via internet. Although this feature was supposedly included in a previous update, many were unable to have it properly run. This hopefully corrected feature will allow PSP users to watch and listen to content stored on the PS3 from any wi-fi connection in the world. PSP firmware 3.50 will be required.
  • DLNA media center connectivity. Media content stored on DLNA-enabled PCs and laptops can be shared and viewed on PS3 systems.
  • Print photos with Epson printers. Images stored on the PS3 hard drive can be printed using compatible printers.
  • Transfer PS1/2 save files from PS3 using Memory Card Adaptor. Previously, users could only transfer save files to the PS3. Now, gamers will be able to transfer data to and from the PS3.
This update hits European PS3s on May 24th. A worldwide release should arrive on or near that date.
[Update: SCEA has contacted us with confirmation that the update will also hit American PS3s on May 24th as well. See past the break to see pictures of the newest firmware update in action.]

Here, we see a DLNA-enabled VAIO laptop connected to PS3. We'll be able to stream photos, music and videos from the laptop to our TV with tomorrow's firmware update.

You can adjust the DVD Upscaler settings under the Settings menu.

You can adjust the PS/PS2 Upscaler under the Settings menu as well. Don't forget!

For those of you with compatible Epson printers, you'll be able to print photos from your PS3. You can adjust some settings, as seen in the picture above.

Firmware 1.80 will be ready for distribution tomorrow, May 24th.

21. So I guess this will not upscale 720p to 1080i.....resistance and motorstorm? but i guess this will make it possible in the future so the outlook seems good.

Posted at 11:11AM on May 23rd 2007 by AndresON777

22. wei .. get Resistance .. its a damn good game.

Posted at 11:16AM on May 23rd 2007 by WhackMushrooms

23. Holy crap... I need to change my pants.

Posted at 11:23AM on May 23rd 2007 by Chris

24. @ wei:

Why did you buy a PS3 if there aren't any games you want to play?

Posted at 11:33AM on May 23rd 2007 by dantemustdie

25. I hope this fixes the color space for games, so they match my video output selection of Y/Pb/Pr. I am sick of games looking like crap in RGB, all washed out and whatnot.

Posted at 11:40AM on May 23rd 2007 by DanMacMan

26. Thanks for answering my question about upscaling through component connections. Kind of ridiculous that I can play blu-ray discs at 1080i through component but not a lousy upscaled DVD. Anyway, I thought the 360 had been doing DVD upscaling since day one, despite not even being HDMI capable....

Posted at 11:52AM on May 23rd 2007 by Stef Geiger

27. The 360 will upscale DVDs over HDMI (on the Elite version) and VGA (both versions), but not via component. It will however upscale all games on any HD connection, including component.

In a nutshell, the only reason BD and HD DVD discs play fine at 1080i/p over component as of now is the fact that the studios haven't enforced the AACS protection. As soon as the image constraint token is enabled on these discs, you'll only get to experience your HD discs at a DVD resolution. Yay DRM!

Posted at 11:59AM on May 23rd 2007 by Strike Man

28. @26
The 360 can upscale dvd's through VGA.

This is HUGE for Sony. I am a proud 360 and PS3 owner. Lately I have been bashing Sony because I am pissed off at the way they have been handling their business. But this is a HUGE development. Now I can play my God of War 2 and Final Fantasy 12, two games I have been dying to play but cant because they look horrible on PS3.Upscaling Dvd's is huge also since it will help me hold out till The Matrix Boxset comes out. Too bad I rebought a lot of my collection on blu-ray already (32 movies currently). The Remote play will be nice for a few people (Most prolly wont ever use it, myself included). Its nice to see Sony listening to consumer complaints and tryingto correct what went wrong.

TheSh0wstopper

Posted at 12:00PM on May 23rd 2007 by TheSh0wstopper

29. Yeah, sorry for not clarifying. I got a PS3 to use as a Blu-ray player for now. Resistance looks nice but the demo didn't really grab me. Since I own a 360, I don't feel a real urge to grab up another shooter. That doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to the games in the PS3's future. ;)

Posted at 12:06PM on May 23rd 2007 by wei

30. God of War II is going to look amazing at 720p or higher!

Posted at 12:10PM on May 23rd 2007 by Bored

31. Whoa guys, don't get too excited: The games are supposed to be upscaled - that doesn't mean "rendered at HD resolutions". There will be a slight increase in video quality, but it's not going to be like playing a game that actually renders in 720p or 1080i/p. DVDs, yes, they will likely be intelligently upscaled and will look a little better, but it's pretty unlikely that Sony has managed to make PS1/2 games render at higher resolutions. The game itself has to be able to do that (look at Gran Turismo, any game with progressive scan, and GOWII).

Posted at 12:20PM on May 23rd 2007 by Stef Geiger

32. Stef is right for once. You won't suddenly get 1 million polygons on Snake in MGS3. The output image will be resized to 720p/1080i/1080p but the initial image *quality* will be the same.

It's cool for DVDs especially since studios have been slow to release all the classics, but for games...I'll have to judge for myself. Unless they have some incredible emulation and code hacks for antialiasing and whatnot, I imagine the PS1 and PS2 games will look as bad, if not worse, at 1080i as they do at 480i.

As for the PSP remote play, that sounds really cool. You could sit anywhere there's a hotspot and watch your DVDs that you re-encoded to mp4 format and saved on your PS3. Plus there's the streaming music which is a huge plus. I might have to buy one after all.

Posted at 12:55PM on May 23rd 2007 by Popfrogs

33. I think it's safe to say that no matter the firmware update, the PS3 will not be able to upscale PS3 games. The Cell processor is already being used for these games, and, assuming the Cell is being used for the upscaling of movies and PS/PS2 games, would not have the left over processing power to upscale PS3 games.

If PS2 games aren't upscaled by Component, then I'm going to wait and see people's opinions on the upscaling before plunking down cash for a HDMI cable.

Posted at 1:09PM on May 23rd 2007 by VerticalEvent

34. Plunking down cash for an HDMI cable? LOL! Those cables are less than $10 shipped from monoprice.com.

Posted at 1:17PM on May 23rd 2007 by Popfrogs

35.

Sony needs to fix the scaling from 720p to 1080i for PS3 games!!!!!

Posted at 2:09PM on May 23rd 2007 by gamerz

36.
Sony needs to fix upscaling from 720p to 1080i for PS3 games!!

I also own both a 360 and PS3 and the PS3 is utter garbage because it downscales almost all games to only 480p while the 360 upscales *all* games to 1080i.

Posted at 2:15PM on May 23rd 2007 by gamerz

37. Calm down, I think we all knew that it didn't make the PS3 render more polygons for a decade old game. But think of it this way, it's like watching a DVD on an upscaling player. You won't have any more jaggies, funky colors, better black levels, and a generally smoother image.

Posted at 3:04PM on May 23rd 2007 by adamantypants

38. Only those first generation games are going to have this issue and it will never be fixed, unfortunately. The SDK has fixed this for all future games, but the old games would require rewriting the code. It's not a big issue any more, so this has already been "fixed". Only a few games that were built during the first couple months of the system are effected.

Posted at 3:26PM on May 23rd 2007 by jason

39. You can stream content from your Apple Mac using Twonky Media Server! I'm already using Twonky on my Powermac streaming music and photos to my 360 and now it will work with my PS3 including video! Yes! This is an awesome update!

Posted at 4:31PM on May 23rd 2007 by blkdog7

40. I'm stoked for this firmware update! Upscaling added to the PS3 is a good move forward for Sony.
With the upscaling of dvd movies, would you guys rather buy a regular standard movie of say "Resident Evil" and just watch it in upscaled resolution? Or would you go out and get the Blu-ray version instead and watch it at the intended 1080i/p resolution?
I have yet to compare the two, but I'm figuring an upscaled dvd movie won't compare to the quality and sharpness of the Blu-ray version. Or am I wrong?

Posted at 4:41PM on May 23rd 2007 by Tru-blue