Aisledash: the new daily resource for getting married right | Add to My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines

Hori says: buy our dust and nicotine guard!

Yes, the PS3 doesn't like it when you smoke around it. It's trying to find a cure for your rudeness via the Folding@Home program. It's still searching. Kablam! How did that zinger taste? A little bitter, we'd reckon. All poorly constructed insult jokes aside, Hori is releasing a dust/nicotine guard for your PS3. It comes out in late April at an affordable $17. But... why?

Seriously, all these PS3 accessories seem so... foolish. If I were a smoker, I'd never do it in my home. It just makes no sense. Smoke alarms, making the ceiling yellow, creating an odor that just does not get out of your fabrics... it's an OCD person's worst nightmare. If you coupled this guard with the cooling fan we talked about a few days ago, we're fairly certain your PS3 will last at least a year less than a "naked" system. Too much crap can do more harm than good. So, get this thing if you smoke whilst playing video games, otherwise, laugh at some of the sillier inventions out there.

1. Im not a regular smoker, but theres something about smoking inside that is very nice. Perhaps part of it can be contributed to all the freaking smoking laws. Plus, the Japanese smoke like none other.

Posted at 5:17PM on Mar 19th 2007 by Otsego_Undead

2. "Seriously, all these PS3 accessories seem so... foolish. If I were a smoker, I'd never do it in my home."

I'm an inveterate smoker, but we have three kids now, and there's enough empirical evidence about harm from chronic, significant exposure for children to, at the very least, the allergens in secondhand smoke that I never smoke inside the house, or inside any closed space the kids use. In fact, I changed shirts after smoking until the boys were over 12 months. I still wash my hands after smoking.

That being said, I'd *love* to be able to smoke inside again. Try smoking outside when it's 10 deg. F. It's not a charmer. I'm a writer and spend a lot of time at my desk, and smoking goes hand-in-hand with the writing habit. (Drinking a lot does, too, apparently with some, but tends to hinder my output.)

But for years, without kids, I smoked and worked inside, at my desk, eventually in front of a procession over the years of different laptop and desktop Mac computers. Inside the computers, on the unusual occasion they required opening, there was a layer of tobacco tar all over the components; the screens had to be frequently and thoroughly cleaned of cloudy smoke residue. Any problem I had with any of them occurred in the first six months of ownership -- essentially of the manufacturing defect variety -- and the conspicuous writer's chain-smoking caused not a single problem.

I think the issue of smoking harming computers, or in this case game consoles, is much a myth, bolstered by the anti-smoking sentiment in the US and now much of the first world. That's, you know, not a reason to start smoking. I love it, but I don't think had I to do over again I would have started in the first place.

Posted at 5:22PM on Mar 19th 2007 by san

3. I always wondered why some people ahad stains on their ceilings. Now I know. Bask to the point, it would just be cheaper to buy a can of that dust cleaner for electronics.

Posted at 5:41PM on Mar 19th 2007 by 3cubedminus3squared

4. whoops. ahad should be had and Bask should be Back.

Posted at 5:42PM on Mar 19th 2007 by Juan Tan

5. I just spent 2400 dollars on my computer, (not including software,) so I regulary give it the anti dust treatment. This includes lovingly unhooking the system, taking it outside, and then blowing out any dust caught in the case, with a can of compressed air. On a bi-monthly basis, I also take off the filters to the case fans, and clean under a sink.

I don't have to emagine what will happen if I fail to preform this basic maintenace... seeing what happened to a friends system. About 3 months before I updated my computer, he got a brand new computer from Dell... two months ago, his system stoped working due to too much dust and/or heat in the Power supply unit... His computer did not have a filter, and he did not as religiouly as I did clean the system of dust within the system. So its vary likely that his system died due to abuse by owner.

Computers are like any other machine in that you must preform some basic matinance on them to keep them working... The PS3 is 600 dollars, and it can take up to two weeks to ship back and forth just for warrented repair... your going to let youself be without a 600 dollar entertainment system for 2 weeks because you could not take the time to ocationaly make sure its working right? I don't think so...

That said... this Dust guard a deal.

Posted at 9:22PM on Mar 19th 2007 by Cheezedog420

6. I smoke inside my place. The ceiling is not stained yellow, and the odor is easily removed with a fan and an open window. And I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't even sit close enough to the console to get smoke anywhere near it.

Posted at 11:52PM on Mar 19th 2007 by Josh

7. You have to ask why? Have you seen the inside of a smoker's car? All that smoke and tar buildup attracts to places like lenses, heatsinks, and other parts inside computers and consoles. Maybe this is part of the reason so many PS1 and PS2 systems had read errors? I even know a smoker that had to do the old cartridge cleaning more often on their old NES than I did to mine. If your a smoker, you should definitely look into protecting your electronic devices. Hell, what am I kidding. If you don't look into taking care of your lungs, why would you care about the electronics in your home?

Posted at 8:05AM on Mar 20th 2007 by Andir3.0

8. ^^^Oh, and if you ride a motorcycle, youre not taking care of your body. If you live in LA, youre not taking care of your lungs. If you drink, youre not taking care of your liver. Shut up you hypocrite. I bet you do things that damage your body too.

Posted at 12:25PM on Mar 20th 2007 by Justin

9. ^^^Oh, and if you ride a motorcycle, youre not taking care of your body. If you live in LA, youre not taking care of your lungs. If you drink, youre not taking care of your liver. Shut up you hypocrite. I bet you do things that damage your body too.

Posted at 5:14PM on Mar 20th 2007 by Justin