RUMOR: GTA IV: Set in New York? Aww, man...
This rumor is coming from a post on a certain forum (the thread has been removed) where someone claiming to have insider knowledge cited New York as Rockstar's choice city. The game's due out in October, with the first trailer to release in two weeks. What'll it be? Fingers crossed that I get what I want, but fingers also crossed everyone will enjoy it, no matter what era or city it truly takes place in.
PlayStation store hits the PC (3/16/2007)
- New Ferrari game speeding onto PS3 (3/16/2007)
Sony launches CONSOUL magazine (3/16/2007)
Ratchet and Clank: a trailer just for you! (3/16/2007)
- Another analyst, another demand for price cuts (3/16/2007)
Reader Comments(Page 1)
2. I can't believe no one has thought of this yet..
What has happened in NYC since the development ofGTA III? Think about it really hard.
If this is going to be in NYC, my money is either on a post-9/11 NYC or even during 9/11. COME ON! it's Rockstar, people - do you think they would shy away from this subject? No way!
Sure, the game was released a month after 9/11, but development must have been 99% complete by then.
Plus, we are finally dealing with a new engine. The games have all been running on the ancient game engine from 2001, so perhaps with the new engine they are revisiting their original city, with a new start.
Posted at 1:41PM on Mar 14th 2007 by Chris
3. Love the idea nick. a while back there was a game called Mafia (not sure if it hit consoles) that was pretty sweet.. set in that era.. but i know Rockstar could kick that game up like 10 notches.
On another note, i SWORE i heard GTA IV was set in London...
Posted at 2:14PM on Mar 14th 2007 by Otsego_Undead
4. It should be located in Sheboygan. There could be a giant monster as the ultimate boss...
Posted at 2:14PM on Mar 14th 2007 by GRT
5. early 1920s!!! no way! how boring. the lighting and color of the game would not make it exciting. also, you wouldnt need to have a new engine to make a game like that. NYC with a newly revised style of GTA would be great. Crackdown was horrible, Saint's Row was good. GTAIV will be amazing..
Posted at 2:17PM on Mar 14th 2007 by Twizzy
6. " A while back, we brainstormed what the possible setting for the next title would be and personally, I liked my idea. Gangster era, early 1920's, you know?"
Yeah, ever hear of the game Mafia? It's exactly that.
Posted at 2:22PM on Mar 14th 2007 by DukeFett
7. OK, first off even rock star wouldn't touch a "9-11 NYC" game. The construction site in gta3 was originally a WTC type building, but was changed at the last minute to stay PC.
Secondly, let's think for a moment about why this is GTAIV and not GTA: fictional city. The last game moved from city to state, so therefore by extension this will (hopefully) be state to country, or even world. I'd personally love to see several global locations (maybe fictional London, fictional Chi Town or ny, and somewhere in south america?)
If not that, then id like to see the mafia-type game with multiple cities involved (imagine a godfather-type game with your characheter jetsetting to la, vegas, or chicago to do family business...
Posted at 2:26PM on Mar 14th 2007 by Drgonzo
8. @2 seeing as most New Yorkers (myself and Rockstar included) lost friends and family on 9/11 i would honestly be turned off if the game took place "during 9/11" as you wrote. i also thinks it's sick that people would be excited by such a premise. NYC=Rad idea, 9/11=memories that nobody wants to deal with.
Posted at 2:26PM on Mar 14th 2007 by a.j.
9. 1920? Go play Godfather. PS3 fanboy is always a day behind a breaking story...
Posted at 2:44PM on Mar 14th 2007 by silence
10. "Gangster era, early 1920's, you know? "
Yeah, thats a different game. its called "LA Noire". Different city, same concept. Look it up.
Posted at 2:51PM on Mar 14th 2007 by SpaceButler
11. I don't care if it's a NYC-style city again.
I just want to world to be bigger than before. If that includes multiple cities (not just unlocked towns nearby), that would be awesome.
Like #8 said... perhaps a crime syndicate stretching along the East Coast... NYC, Boston, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Atlanta...
Maybe a little too hopeful.
Posted at 3:15PM on Mar 14th 2007 by Dan
12. WOW. People are ignorant. First of all, Houser already said in an interview that the 80's would be the farthest that theyd take the GTA series back. Its in Game Informer. Also, and Ive said this countless times, why would they go to only one city, when in San Andreas they had 3 cities plus badlands, countryside, and a desert. Thats like them going on their word and then saying "we'll make this monumental game in San Andreas for PS2 and create the biggest game world ever, but then when PS3 and 360 come out, we'll just make it in a single city." Dont even guess where it'll be, because we'll find out in a few weeks.
Posted at 4:55PM on Mar 14th 2007 by kid
13. noooo i want some modern gta with modern vehicles super fast trains and awesome jets not poo biplanes or steam trains
Posted at 6:13PM on Mar 14th 2007 by naruto007
14. god I hope it's not in the past... I'm bored of America, we've seen it all in Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas!
I want to see modern day Europe (London, Paris, Rome etc.) for some crazy car chases, gun fights etc.
Posted at 6:30PM on Mar 14th 2007 by Ciaran Gallagher
15. I thought I had read that the game would be back in London. /shrug...
Posted at 6:32PM on Mar 14th 2007 by Roofus
16. @12.....NYC....Bmore...Philly....DC...that would be hot as fu**. Blu-Ray supposedly gives u more space for more content....lets see....
Posted at 8:17PM on Mar 14th 2007 by Kenneth H.
17. Shaolin Isle, H World, Boogie down, Bridge and BK in full FX? Sign me up SUN!!
Posted at 10:41PM on Mar 14th 2007 by Frankenstein Black
18. How about 1970's NYC? I heard it was a real shithole and would therefore make a great setting for GTA4.
Can't wait to drive my El Camino to the Upper West Side (using the shortcut through Central Park) while listening to "the latest" from Queen.
Posted at 1:18AM on Mar 15th 2007 by Tom
19. It would be awsome if they did a Tijuana,B.C./san diego,CA. GTA, Drug running, mexican mob hits, etc. AWSOME
Posted at 1:16PM on Mar 15th 2007 by pompy3
20. The future!! it should be set in 2040, with spaceships and such.
Posted at 12:09PM on Mar 16th 2007 by Me
Add your comments
Please keep your comments relevant to this blog entry. Email addresses are never displayed, but they are required to confirm your comments.
When you enter your name and email address, you'll be sent a link to confirm your comment, and a password. To leave another comment, just use that password.
To create a live link, simply type the URL (including http://) or email address and we will make it a live link for you. You can put up to 3 URLs in your comments. Line breaks and paragraphs are automatically converted — no need to use
1. yay hope so...first post!
Posted at 1:34PM on Mar 14th 2007 by Joshua Campbell