A HUGE backwards compatibility checklist for the PS3
Any troubles with major titles will probably get fixed in firmware updates, so take this with a grain of salt -- it's not a big deal. The one big deal many might complain about is the fact that PS2 HDD games (read: Final Fantasy XI) aren't yet supported. That'll probably change, too. Updates, updates, updates. We'll probably see a lot of them regarding backwards compatibility in the coming months/years. But then again, do you really care if a piece of music doesn't playback instantly/properly sometimes in a game that isn't necessarily a symphony to your ears? It shouldn't have to be an issue, but it's something that could be easy to live with, should updates fail to address the issue. Just keep a spare PS2 in case you really can't stand a problem that may arise.
Reader Comments(Page 1)
2. "Pretty much the same thing that plagued certain PSX games when used in the PS2. "
Not meaning to be nit-picky, but the PS1 should be referred to as such. The PSX was the PS2-media device that failed in Japan and never left the country. I'm not sure why the PS1 got called the PSX in the first place though...
This isn't concerning to me. I still have 4 PS2's, and a PSOne. BC isn't that important. It was always better to Play PS1 games on the right console (or via BLEEM) ;).
Posted at 12:06PM on Nov 13th 2006 by SuicideNinja
3. i am buying the ps3 for the ps3 games
Posted at 12:07PM on Nov 13th 2006 by go eat your fries biotch
4. is the ps3 really about what all the hype says it is ?
is it going to blow the 360 away?
Posted at 2:55PM on Nov 13th 2006 by Easton
5. #4 Let me simply put it this way. No it won't
I just read a nice article about how PS3 can in no way use the full potential of the Cell which isn't that fast anyways. One feature i think was overlooked with PS3s was the bandwidth allotted :( 22.4 GB/s isn't as good as 256 GB/s for the 360. But then again, numbers are meaningless, games make the difference.
Posted at 1:35AM on Nov 14th 2006 by asdf
6. @ #4......not without any games it wont.
Possibly the worst launch lineup.....EVER. Especially as most of the games are already on your competitor's machine . Is Resistance worth 600$?? Don't think so.....let's hope the online play is good......still VERY worried about Playstation's Online Strategy. Then again....if it sucks like on PS2.....XBL will be the way to go. Now if GEARS OF WAR would just get the party system of HALO 2.
Posted at 1:47PM on Nov 14th 2006 by goosedude
7. "I'm not sure why the PS1 got called the PSX in the first place though..."
Originally it was an internal name, standing for "PlayStation Experimental". The code-name got out and before the PlayStation launched most mags, including EDGE, referred to Sony's new "PS-X" console. So "PS-X" would be a correct description for PlayStation games (it wasn't called the PS1 until the PS2 came along, and even then it was actually called PSone if we're going to be pedantic about it! :))
Posted at 12:57PM on Nov 15th 2006 by Ian
8. Can you play DDR Super Nova and real player golf (strap on wrist and little golf club) on ps3. Thank you to anyone that can help.
Posted at 2:48PM on Dec 5th 2006 by Lisa
1. Considering the fact that it's a forum thread and not really a list of games, it's not very searchable. They do provide a link which doesn't seem to have an English counterpart for some reason. If anyone can read Japanese, can you search Dynasty Warriors/Samauri Warriors and Burnout: Revenge for me and let me know what it comes back with? I can't tell what the three input boxes are, and what would they need the year for?
Posted at 11:55AM on Nov 13th 2006 by Andir2.0